Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Polo or Chaps???

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
Ralph Lauren makes suits that have the label "Chaps" and another that says "Polo University Club". Does anyone know the difference between these two? I'm curious as I just found 2 of the Polo suits, one single breasted and one double breasted in almost like new condition at Goodwill. Both are a blue with a nice pin stripe. I have to have the slacks shortened and have them cleaned and pressed but I only paid $17.00 total for both of them.

fedoralover

Marty M.

Vendor
Ralph's ka-ching

Hi Fedoralover, Polo university and Chap's by Ralph Lauren are both products under Ralphs empire. Chaps is a farmed out product. The overall workmanship of the Chaps line in my oppinon could be bit on the cheap made side. Polo University has always been a product geared towards a younger customer. It has more involvement from Ralph Lauren, and is a better made product then Chaps. Where Ralph shines (and makes money) is with his Purple Lable collection. It's has gusto. Great fabrics. Great styles. Great presentation. The down side is it's an expensive collection. Too expensive in my oppinion. And, Ralph's fit can be a bit on the small side. Well, that's more then you wanted or needed to know.

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
No not at all Marty M, thanks for the info and welcome to the lounge. I"ve never seen his purple label stuff, but then I don't shop on Rodeo drive either. These suits looked very nice and I love a blue pinstripe suit and couldn't pass them up. On his web site these suits sell for $1095. I'll have about $50. invested in them by the time I get the slacks tailored and both suits cleaned. I love Goodwill.

fedoralover

Flitcraft

One Too Many
You got a deal, Brother!
Tough to snag any of Ralph's products for such a short stack of semoleans!:cool:

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Purple label

Blue label (Polo) and Black Label

Polo University

Chaps -- you see this brands sold at military installations alot.

Lauren by Ralph Lauren

That is how I would rank Ralph's men's labels.

There was a time when the Polo goods were made better, though now those are made for the purple label line.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner