Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

portland oregon ladies? sewing Q...

exquisitebones

A-List Customer
Hey, I am sort of on the hunt for a sewing class or something.
so... I can not find any near my area (vancouver...) I was just wondering if maybe you knew of some int he portland/metro area???

if not, you wanna come over and help me make a skirt or dress... i got a bunch of cool vintage patterns, and i cant make them :eek: :eusa_doh:

i can sew, and i have a machine, i just have never made an outfit, from a pattern in my life... and some of the terms are confusing to me.

HELP!

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
i was thinking about signing up for the sewing series through PCC. the classes are at NE Glisan and 70-somethingth. it's pretty affordable for the amount of classes you attend - i'm not sure if there's still space available though, and you have to register by the 28th! it starts next monday. fabric depot on SE 122nd in portland also offers classes. if you haven't been there yet, i suggest you go! they have really great sales all the time, and make sure you look for the section of vintage print cottons when you go!

i'm thinking of taking the classes at PCC because although i can put a pattern together, i don't do things correctly, and it compromises the fit of the outfit and the speed of my project. so i would not be a good person to come help you learn to sew! sewing manuals can help tremendously... if you're using vintage patterns i suggest getting one from the same time period as the pattern. (this is my all-purpose vintage sewing hint and i've probably mentioned it 18 times on this forum already! :p )

exquisitebones

A-List Customer
ShooShooBaby said:
i was thinking about signing up for the sewing series through PCC. the classes are at NE Glisan and 70-somethingth. it's pretty affordable for the amount of classes you attend - i'm not sure if there's still space available though, and you have to register by the 28th! it starts next monday. fabric depot on SE 122nd in portland also offers classes. if you haven't been there yet, i suggest you go! they have really great sales all the time, and make sure you look for the section of vintage print cottons when you go!

i'm thinking of taking the classes at PCC because although i can put a pattern together, i don't do things correctly, and it compromises the fit of the outfit and the speed of my project. so i would not be a good person to come help you learn to sew! sewing manuals can help tremendously... if you're using vintage patterns i suggest getting one from the same time period as the pattern. (this is my all-purpose vintage sewing hint and i've probably mentioned it 18 times on this forum already! :p )

yeah i looked into Clark College, but they had NOTING related to sewing.
i did not even think about PCC. good idea!
and yeah i love fabric depot, i just dont want to drive that far over and over for lessons.
i just wish i knew someone local who could help me. i think i could do it, if i was just shown once you know??
i am gonna check out PCC!

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
it's once a week for several months, but it seems like they're really going to get into proper techniques for all kinds of stuff. you can also take the classes in smaller units. these classes are uncredited - they're through a continuing ed program. i don't think i found them through the "regular" schedule - i had to search a bit. maybe it's the same with clark!

Bolt on NE Alberta in pdx has a lot of one-day seminars/classes - you might want to check out their schedule too. you can google for their website.

exquisitebones

A-List Customer
ShooShooBaby said:
it's once a week for several months, but it seems like they're really going to get into proper techniques for all kinds of stuff. you can also take the classes in smaller units. these classes are uncredited - they're through a continuing ed program. i don't think i found them through the "regular" schedule - i had to search a bit. maybe it's the same with clark!

Bolt on NE Alberta in pdx has a lot of one-day seminars/classes - you might want to check out their schedule too. you can google for their website.

DAMN! i looked into the PCC classes, the only availableones are in lake oswego :( toooo much to drive.
i work right down the road from bolt... i should go talk to them.. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats