Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Questions

Mycroft

One Too Many
1. Was it popular to put cigars in one's suit brest pocket as Joseph Cotton did or even better Gomez Addams?

2. What was on the end of a chain, when wore with a zoot suit? A watch?

Flitcraft

One Too Many
Re: Zoot Suit Chain

A lot of men carried their keys on chains that attached to the belt and ended in the front right pocket of the trousers.
For references, see Humphrey Bogart in The Big Sleep, when he opens his office door for Lauren Bacall.
Also, James Cromwell carries his keys that way in L.A. Confidential.
In Autobiography of Malcolm X, Denzel Washington, as well as several other hipsters, carries a long keychain, but, as with all the other aspects of the "Zoot" look, the chains are elaborately long and gaudy- more to attract attention than to serve a utilitarian purpose.

Michaelson

One Too Many
Definitely a key ring. I still have my Dad's from those days, and they were usually solid brass with a round clip type ring on the end. The other end had a hook that connected to the belt. Regards. Michaelson

Michaelson

One Too Many
Other than rough? (grins) It has large serpentine links with a round ring at the key end that has a center metal snap. Wish I could post photos, I'd show you. Regards. Michaelson

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24