Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Really Great Hat, But I Need Help. (Big Pics)

dopey

One of the Regulars
As part of my hunt for vintage felt, I picked up an old black Mallory for $6 (plus $11 s&h). The hat was a little crushed in the box and looks to have some white spots on it (the spots can't be felt and at least one rubbed right off). The felt though is SPECTACULAR. This is nothing like anything else I have felt so far. It is silky, smooth and luxurious all at once.

Here is my question/problem. I can't figure out how this hat is supposed to be worn. The ribbon is wide enough that it almost reaches the top of the crown if the crown is pushed down, and the bow is in the back. The hat appears to have been bashed with some sort of a triangle dent in the top, but the felt is pretty malleable, so it is hard to tell what it is "supposed" to have. It has a stitched topwelt.

Pics are below.

Any ideas when this hat is from and how it should be styled or worn?

Ah, I think what you have there should have been an elongated porkpie. The high ribbon and the triangle dent points me in that direction. It would not have been so pointed at the front originally. A hand shaped porkpie might have some variations though. The dent in the crown would not be so deep either. They were generally kind of flat on top with a slight rake back. Keep it as it is if you like the style. Who will know the difference nowadays anyway? ;)
You have the Premier quality hat there. The Mallory Premier was a very nice felt. I have one around here somewhere but all I could get my hands on was the Aristocrat quality one that I have. They both feel just as you described. :p ;)
Your example looks like it is in good condition as well. You started at a good spot if this is your first fedora. Good price too. That is likely less than it cost new. Did I mention that it is probably from the 40s with that satin liner as well? ;)

Regards to all,

J

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn