Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recommended hat stores Idaho/Montana/Wyoming/Utah

RockyR

New in Town
Dear Loungers

We are in the midst of planning a 4 week road trip from Spokane into Nth Idaho down through Yellowstone to Monument Valley and Sth Utah.

[A long drive, but we are used to driving 2 hrs + to get to the shops...jks]

As Australians, we are spoilt for choice with Akubras. However, less so for Stetson and Resistol.

Hoping to stop into a few hat stores (and cowboy stores) during the drive.

Are there any recommended stops for hats and the like?

Ideally, would love to get one for the trip and also an Open Road (colour selection in Aus is limited). ...Although, I'm not opposed to wearing a few on the plane home to save on shipping lol...

San Fran <fly> Spokane -> Wallace -> Ennis -> Jackson Hole -> Salt Lake -> Monument Valley -> Vegas or Denver <fly> San Fran

Last edited:
Dear Loungers

We are in the midst of planning a 4 week road trip from Spokane into Nth Idaho down through Yellowstone to Monument Valley and Sth Utah.

As Australians, we are spoilt for choice with Akubras. However, less so for Stetson and Resistol.

Ideally, would love to get one for the trip and also an Open Road (colour selection in Aus is limited). ...Although, I'm not opposed to wearing a few on the plane home to save on shipping lol...

San Fran <fly> Spokane -> Wallace -> Ennis -> Jackson Hole -> Salt Lake -> Monument Valley -> Vegas or Denver <fly> San Fran
I am only familiar with custom hatters. In Darby MT west of Missoula Double H hatters right on the main drag through town. In Billings there is Rand's. They sell custom hats but also offer off the shelf, ready mades. If you google "hatters in Montana" you will find just about every town of size has a hatter. In Utah, Salina drop into Burns Saddlery....a legit store for real cowboys (the last time I was there two cowboys had their horses hitched out front of the store. There is a custom maker in the basement but also ready mades. Rocky Mountain Hats in Bozeman is worth a visit. Also in Bozeman is a fantastic vintage clothing store.."Bozeman Vintage"...they usually have some vintage hats for sale.
If you drive through Pendleton Oregon, home of the famous rodeo, the town has many western shops with hats. Visit the Pendleton Wool factory while you are there.

Dear Loungers

Ennis is a small town in a beautiful setting, tucked in a valley. There is a small distillery there....the name escapes me but it on the main drag of the town. Wallace is a great little town. Worth a stop to wander, there are 2 craft brewers in town. The one at the entrance to the town, part of the RV park is the best. Of the sites in the SW, Monument Valley was my least favourite. Worth a drive through but the scale is immense. We loved Canyon DeChelly/Chinle. Stop in Shiprock NM for Navajo Tacos for a regional treat. You should not miss a drive through CanyonLands - The Needles and then Arches. The traffic will be nuts but worth it. Natural Bridges is a bit quieter. If you love Ancient pueblan culture stop off at Mesa Verde or Hovenweep. That whole section of the US is amazing. We have spent months travelling/camping in the area. .....so much to see. I suggest skip the cities, spend your time in the smaller centres.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran