Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Remember when Banana Republic made stuff like this?

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Cotton belted back with bi-swing. Not like the vintage ones you find, though they were trying.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5406774745&category=3002&rd=1

d1_1.JPG

e9_1_b.JPG

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Most interesting. I don't know how long they've been around, but I remember going to their store in Denver when it first opened. Everything was all tropical adventure-themed, to cash in on the Indiana Jones craze at that time. I could be wrong, but I swear a lot of their stuff was military surplus.
Nothing like what they sell today.
Brad

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
jamespowers said:
Yeah I remember. The problem is that they didn't sell because of their "take" on the jacket. That wierd pocket on the front breast and the lower one need to go and it would be much better.

Regards to all,

J

The welt chest pocket and side patch pockets with flaps are fine for a period look, that was the Brooks brothers standard from the 20's to the 50's. That lower welt pocket as you said is a waste, and I myself preffer the chest pocket to be a patch pocket. Altogether the jacket is no repro, though they were heading the right way.

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Banana Republic WAS cool! There used to be an old army style jeep in the one by me. There was a very cool jungle theme about the place which was pretty unique. Then a few years later, they jumped into the martini/ lounge craze, but they did it well! The womens stuff was better than the mens, but it all still had a vintage-y feel. These days, I rarely will step foot in a BR, since all I see is low waisted flat fron pants and striped shirts!
flat-top

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
The Banana Republic in Mill Valley had the jungle theme as well. I use to love there stuff.
Recently I was at the mall with my sons and laughed when I saw the Banana Republic and Abercrobie and Fitch.
Banana Republic used to have inexpensive casual fun items and A and F had expensive men's suits. Now they've traded places.

The Wolf

Feraud

Bartender
I like that jacket except for the odd looking pocket.
I remember the first Banana Republic I walked into. It was in NYC and must have been around 1985. The place looked so cool and had a very distinct name. I always think of B.R. based on my first impressions of the name and the style of clothing, very outdoor/adventure oriented.

Lately tho' the stuff looks rather homogenized.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Banana Republic was a travel / safari outfitter in the mode of what Abercrombie and Fitch used to be. I bought a safari shirt from them in the 1980s and a leather belt I only retired two years ago. Their top selling item was a photojournalist's vest, examples of which pop up on eBay from time to time. The kept this item even after they were radically changed by their acquisiton from The Gap. It's ironic that Banana Republic is now a place to get clothes for an entirely different "demographic;" not that there's anything wrong with that. It's a shame that companies like Willis and Geiger, Abercrombie, and Banana Republic have been absorbed or destroyed. I sure hope no one ever buyss LL Bean.

Someone needs to get into the active causual wear that lasts. I think the companies that absorbed BR and the like do not understand the original company's business model and the plan for the type of merchandise they sell. They want to keep it simple and not go out on a limb. This is sort of strange to me since changing the whole workings of a company that worked makes no sense but then again I don't own that company. The GAP to me is like a cross to Dracula. Their offereings leave much to be desired---like class and style. :p

Regards to all,

J

JerseyJones

Vendor
jamespowers said:
Someone needs to get into the active causual wear that lasts.
J

Cabelas does it fairly well. They ARE my casual wardrobe. They could easily add some casual jackets/ vintage stuff and get a great response.

Ken

Biltmore Bob

Suspended
Banana Republic is owned by Gap, that should tell you alot. I hate mall stores like Gap and Old Navy. Although I do like Victoria's Secret and Cinnabon.

Cabella's is great and LL Bean is good too, although sometimes pricey.

Biltmore Bob

Suspended
Cabella's is like Bass Pro Shop, only better, if that tells you anything. It's a catalog and internet company. They have some stores in the West and South. Quality stuff mostly geared to outdoorsmen and hunters. But lately they have some Land's Endsy stuff.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Cabella's, Filson and Orvis are the closest you will find to old school outdoor outfitters. Anywhere else you go it's plastic clothes galore. Plastic is good, though I still like the natural stuff. As I mentioned in another thread, Polyester is a marvalous material that makes you cooler when you are cold and warmer when you are hot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou