Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Replicaters in India, How good are they?

filfoster

One Too Many
Replican'ters

DoolittleRaider said:
thanks for that BellyTank,

thats kinda what i needed, i think ill just go ahead and order from GOOD OL WPG!!:D

no offense to replicaters, but i just dont trust them very much.[huh]

DR
What Price Glory is definitely better. Sanjay's best product is the NSDAP brownshirt but why would anyone want that?
WPG: Be careful of arm length if you are over 33" sleeve length.
For slightly more cost, George A Petersen, at NCHS inc. in Springfield VA can also make tailored RAF uniforms, tailored in Thailand, with correct buttons and insignia for a fair price but he only goes a few times a year so you may need to wait. He has very nice barathea cloth.

JennyLou

Practically Family
That's a good question. I've always wondered about how good Replicaters items were and if they are reliable. I do an army nurse impression and hopefully a WAC one soon too. I've been buying my gear from WPG, At the Front and WWII Impressions. So far I've been satisfied by these three sellers.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
The only possible advantage with Replicaters/Sanjay is the chance of having things made that are out of the realm of WW2, or the usual armies, etc.
He can copy just about anything and probably, some of his 18th and 19thC
gear is better than his 20th.
He makes out like he can make anything possible-
that's true, to a degreee and that's his mentality but there's no speciality,
he has himself spread too thin and doesn't excell at anything.

If it's the standard, OD, HBT, etc you need, stay in the USA.

B
T

draws

Practically Family
Early 20th Century - Military

I have been heavely engaged in early 20th century US Army activity (through the 1930s) for the past 15 years and have experienced, first hand, the look, feel and quality of replication uniform components from India. I cannot speak for European 20th century clothing so my comments will address just US military application.

GENERAL OBSERVATIONS -

Materials - The quality of materials (wool for the most part) isn't too bad but there is just no way that repro uniforms materials can match up to early 20th century materials. That's not to say that this is the fault of the replicator but the look, feel and wearability of the components are just not the same as the originals. Those of us who have purchased uniform components will agree for the most part that original materials will always be more desireable, although much more expensive.

Fit - Uniform sizing, especially that of tunics, jackets and shirts, are ok but the western male's figure just cannot be replicated on an eastern drawing board even if an actual uniform is mailed to them to source a particular pattern. For some reason the result is just not the same. This is especially true of the fit of pants/breeches. I have experienced this first hand, great disappointment in the resulting fit of any/all breeches. For some reason, the far eastern view of their fit, even if the original patterns were sourced out of the Jodhpur state, just doesn't match up to the various sizing patterns created by early 20th century US patterns, materials and quality.

SUMMARY: I don't mean to be too critical of far eastern repro craftsmanship, quality and fit. To be fair, showing up for a fitting will always get a better result. Mail order has never worked for me and my cohorts and never will. It eventually is the difference between quality versus paper-cutter. They just aren't same. The decline of western clothing manufacturing and woolen production and its outsourcing to the far east is the end result. So long as there is a demand for repro, the repro shopper has no choice unless someone were to find a large bolt of original western left-over material to work from and the availability of a quality tailor. Then it's a matter of cost and we all know what that means. By the way, repro does have its advantages since getting out in the field with 1,000other like-minded reenactors since there is greater willingness to get down and dirty to impress the viewer. Rips and tears aren't an issue at that point.

Cobden

Practically Family
The craftmanship of replicators does leave something to be desired, however, this isn't always a bad thing. Sometimes, looking like it was made in India is a bonus, though largely only if you want something to look like it was made in India! The best example are his jungle green and khaki drill uniforms. He's the only person who makes the JG trousers, and they are excellent partly because they're not made too well - the originals, being made in India too, also weren't up to European manufacturing quality.

filfoster

One Too Many
Sanjay isn't surey

Draws writes:
the repro shopper has no choice unless someone were to find a large bolt of original western left-over material to work from and the availability of a quality tailor.

Your observations are valid. I recommended George Petersen (NCHS inc) because he has limited supplies of old cloth and can get good fabrics. His tailoring is done in Thailand so some of your observations pertain: for example, sleeves are often a tad narrower than originals but you can correct this by request. Button hole arrangement should also be specified.
The few things I've had from Sanjay fit fine; better than WPG, because of their shorter sleeve patterns. At the Front is always first rate.
I have been very lucky with long distance tailoring: Magnoli, Baron Boutique and Michael Janke have always made things that fit without complaint, but that's luck and careful measuring. Janke has twice sent pattern jackets.

The Lonely Navigator

Practically Family
Cobden: "Pegasus RAF SA/WSD are the best out there. I believe the original colour is very off, however, after staining with tea, colour becomes only marginally off, however, as the correct material isn't made anymore, the correct colour is impossible, as such "marginally off" is as close as one can get!"

I'll have to look into them. I'd like to get a pair of the P38 trousers, as U-Boat crews wore that uniform (they were the leftovers from the Dunkirk evacuation).

If they can do for smaller sized people, I'd be happy. I stand 5' 5" and I'm not the typical sized modern male.

Kitty mentioned looking for originals...where would one go to find them?

Thanks! :)

Mudge

New in Town
I know I'm getting in a bit late here, but my advice would be to avoid "Replicaters" at all costs.
I ordered US Army officer's "pink" shirts from them. I'm sure you all know what color the "pinks" actually are.
The shirts I received are pale green. The collar point is 1" too long and the pocket flaps are not correct. In spite of Replicaters claim that their items are WWII specs., They're not. I've sent them five emails requesting a refund and have not had a response to any of them. STAY AWAY.

Rant off

Mudge the REALLY PI$$ED

RayR

One of the Regulars
"I googled Replicaters myself at one point, as they seem to be the only company who offer a replica of the WW2 RAF greatcoat. I'm not a re-enactor, but I wanted one myself for civilian wear. The general tone of what I read about them did, I'm afraid, make me decide that I'd be better continuing my seemingly fruitless search for an original big enough to fit a 42-44" chest.... so far, never seen anything over a 41"...

I am in the same boat. I am looking for a WW II Great Coat with a 41" chest with a belt and 50" long so Replicators seems like the option. The Abby Shot folks make only OTR sizes, which don't match my body specs. They said licensing won't allow them to alter.

So, now it's been 2 years since this post, did you find any other options? Or hear any more about Replicators on this product?

B-24J

One of the Regulars
My WSD from Pegasus compared to a WSD blouse from 1945 and trousers from 1944.

WSD-Peg-14_zpseb9f08a5.jpg

Pegasus blouse on the right

WSD-Peg-13_zpsad14b96b.jpg

Pegasus label

WSD-Peg-12_zps7a8453d1.jpg

Sleeve detail. Pegasus on right

WSD-Peg-11_zps95d80d34.jpg

Pegasus on top

WSD-Peg-10_zpscbf8fbe2.jpg

Pegasus on right

WSD-Peg-9_zpsa8262b16.jpg

Pegasus on right

WSD-Peg-8_zps1203d3c2.jpg

Pocket detail. Pegasus on right

WSD-Peg-7_zpsce501645.jpg

Pegasus on top

Trousers to be continued...

B-24J

One of the Regulars
My WSD from Pegasus compared to a WSD blouse from 1945 and trousers from 1944

WSD-Peg-6_zps89d637f2.jpg

Trouser label

WSD-Peg-5_zps1187212d.jpg

Pegasus on top

WSD-Peg-4_zps09e4ae49.jpg

Pegasus on left

WSD-Peg-1_zpsab39286c.jpg

Repro sweater from Air Diggers and Orginal 1943 boots.

The Pegasus WSD is excellent quality and unless you were standing right next to a original, one would be hard pressed to tell the difference. Judging from period color photos, there were some slight shade, buckle, and stitching variations in originals.

I agree with previous posters that Pegasus is a great reproduction RAF.

John

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80