Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

" RESTORING A CLASSIC "---- Lock & Co. Bowler renovation by Fortino37

Fortino37

Familiar Face
Few weeks a go I found a great bowler, it was a Lock & Co. extra hard felt hat, unfortunatly the brim and crown ribbon were ruined, the sweatband was missing, the liner was bad too, and some kind of glue was splited in all the interior.
A real mess, but decide to give to this classic lid a second chance.

Here is the bowler before the Fortino37 treatment

After cleaning the interior and the exterior, I proceed to put a new bow and ribbon on the crown, and replace the ribbon of the brim, after that a leather sweatband was added, and finally the lining.

Here is the original lining

Judge by yourself the ressult.

Last edited:

casechopper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
That looks really nice. Do you have pictures showing how you replaced the brim binding? I might be attempting this soon with a derby that I ordered.

Great job! I think one big problem is sourcing the correct binding/ribbon. I am not sure it is availabale today so you would have to find vintage binding/ribbon. You can see the difference from the original.

Fortino37

Familiar Face
Great job! I think one big problem is sourcing the correct binding/ribbon. I am not sure it is availabale today so you would have to find vintage binding/ribbon. You can see the difference from the original.

The ribbon used for this restoration is new, I use a black petersham 1inch wide, this ribbon is soft and flexible but expensive, a week a go I restored another bowler that need the brim ribbon replace and I bought a black ribbon 50%rayon 50%cotton 1 inch wide, this one was not as flexible as the petersham but seems to be more resistant and is cheaper, to improve it's flexibility I only had to spary some water on it.

Some body can tell me if I can be admitted in THE DERBYNATOR SOCIETY?????????

Fortino

Last edited:

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Some body can tell me if I can be admitted in THE DERBYNATOR SOCIETY?????????
Just don a pair of sunglasses and come on in!

When you all do your sewing projects, do you use machines or a needle and thread? Everything I've ever attempted on that front has literally come out of a button replacement kit.

Fortino37

Familiar Face
Just don a pair of sunglasses and come on in!

When you all do your sewing projects, do you use machines or a needle and thread? Everything I've ever attempted on that front has literally come out of a button replacement kit.

I only use needle and thread in any repair or restoration I make, I found that very relaxing.

Regards from Mexico.

In gonna look for my sunglasses as soon as possible.

"Anybody can use a baseball cap but not everybody have the courage to wear a Fedora"

The ribbon used for this restoration is new, I use a black petersham 1inch wide, this ribbon is soft and flexible but expensive, a week a go I restored another bowler that need the brim ribbon replace and I bought a black ribbon 50%rayon 50%cotton 1 inch wide, this one was not as flexible as the petersham but seems to be more resistant and is cheaper, to improve it's flexibility I only had to spary some water on it.

Fortino

My point is it would be better to use similar ribbon to the original. I am not sure if there is a modern source so you would have to find a vintage supply. This is also a problem with vintage Homburgs. This is just a small point but again fantastic work!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails