Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Reverse Pleats?

Chad Sanborn

A-List Customer
My vintage tux has 'reverse pleats'. The pleats opening faces the button fly. Is this the same thing as an 'english pleat'? Why make the pleats face inward?

Chad

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Actually my friend those are inverse pleats... somewhat more common in the golden era than the reverse pleats which face away from the fly.

The inverse pleats from my experience hold the crease better than the outside facing reverse pleats. One caviat... modern menswear makers make the thighs too fitted for the inverse pleats to lay correctly so they tend to make you look puffy. If they are made correctly they should look closer to this.

Inverse pleats
OpenRoad4-vi.jpg

Wild Root

Gone Home
Good observation Matt however, in the 30?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s to the 50?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s, reverse pleats were common seeing that I have mostly reverse pleats on my pants in my own collection. The ?¢‚Ǩ?ìinverse?¢‚Ǩ? pleats I like best! I have a few pairs of them and a few of them belong to suits. They drape good, they are way easer to iron and press then the reverse pleats. The inverse pleat was more so common in the late 30?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s and into the early 40?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s. They continued to be made into the 50?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s but, the reverse pleat was the dominator in the late 40?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s into the 50?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s.

Inverse pleats are alreet!

=WR=

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Wild Root said:
Good observation Matt however, in the 30?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s to the 50?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s, reverse pleats were common seeing that I have mostly reverse pleats on my pants in my own collection. The ?¢‚Ǩ?ìinverse?¢‚Ǩ? pleats I like best! I have a few pairs of them and a few of them belong to suits. They drape good, they are way easer to iron and press then the reverse pleats. The inverse pleat was more so common in the late 30?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s and into the early 40?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s. They continued to be made into the 50?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s but, the reverse pleat was the dominator in the late 40?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s into the 50?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s.

Inverse pleats are alreet!

=WR=

Word!

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
for pleats sake

Oh is that why?....I always wondered why today's pleated pants often look puffy. It totally ruins the line of an outfit.
Y'know, I've only seen two examples or wartime trousers that have pleats. Basically its a civilian ski pant design. I'll have to check which way they face.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Ski pants have little straps at the bottom of the leg.

From the years of 1943 to 1945 most pants didn't have pleats due to rationing of fabrics and textiles.

Most pants from the 30's I find have no pleats and are just plane front. Now, this isn't a sign that they didn't have pleats, it's just most of the great pleated styles were worn out before today. I have a pair of ivory flannel trousers that have an NRA tag in them wich points to them being from the years of 1933-1935. NRA stands for National Recovery Act. These pants have pleats! Not only do they have pleats, they're reverse pleats!

=WR=

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Yes, not only do they have pleats & stirrups, but a zippered fly, zipped pockets, & a 3 button waistband. Quite different from the usual WWII military pant. I'll checck which way the pleats wander.

I was watching TheBigSleep last nite. Back then, guys were so slim, no wonder they looked so good in their suits. Bogart even mentions that the guy who is shadowing him was about 115lb. Now thats one small wiseguy.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Ah, you do own ski pants! Ever see the 1941 film "Sun valley Serenade" with Glenn Miller's band, John Payne and Sonia Henie? There's some skiing in that film and well, they wear those kind of ski pants! They were also made just prior to the fabric rationing years.

Guys were thin back then? Well, we must remember that Hollywood only made stars out of those who fit the mold of what they thought was fashionable. There were a lot more slim men back then yes, but not every one had a perfect 31" waist and 115lbs.

=WR=

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner