Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rita Hayworth - Hair and Style

Laura Chase

One Too Many
The water-vinegar rinse is a nice tip, it makes the water softer. It's no exact science, so just try it with a little vinegar in the water, and maybe add some more if you feel it isn't doing what it should.

dahliaoleander

One of the Regulars
smokingterp.jpg

Gorgeous ain't it? ;)

sweatyspaghetti

Familiar Face
fersure,Rita has amazing hair.

when i do my hair like Rita i aply an anti-frizz serum,Pantene is the best, i let my hair dry naturally and after thats done i do rag curls an hour before i go to sleep. i put about 2 or 3 rags on each side. And whatever you do DO NOT PUT THE RAGS ON TIGHT,if you do you'll get curls like shirley temple!!:p after im done brushing out the curls when i wake up in the morning,i put about 4 or 5 spritzes of Garnier Fructis shine spray. and...Voile! you look like rita!

SweetieStarr

A-List Customer
Rita Hayworth - Gilda hair

Hi all,

I just watched the movie Gilda with Rita Hayworth. Does anyone know how to achieve her hairstyle?

Thanks!

sweatyspaghetti

Familiar Face
yes darling. ;D

First,you start out when your hair is wet from taking a shower or bath(preferably bath becoz it relaxes you,believe me,this hairstyle is stressful) get some anti frizz serum,it creates a nice silky base for the waves/curls.

When it gets to be sorta damp but on its way to drying, you make ragcurls. About 3 on each side rolled up to the point of not being able to roll anymore. tie a good knot if you're sleeping with them in-if not,i'd say 3-7 hours depending on hair length when the curls will be done. Make sure you put a good hair net on so the rags do not fall out.

When you start to take them out, they will look like shirley temple sausage curls. DON'T PANIC. just brush through some more anti frizz serum and brush out the curls with a round brush. if your styling with no bangs or blunt bangs,just make a very sharp side part and twist the hair facing your curls.make sure to secure the hair with bobby pins.:D

a good short cut is to make medium sized pincurls at the ear level,it doesn't make shiny beautiful gilda curls,but it will give it that rita look. shine spray works best if you're doing the pincurls.
xxx

SweetieStarr

A-List Customer
Are you supposed to do the rolls up or down?

I used foam rollers to see how that would work and I rolled them going up. When I took the rollers out and brushed it -- let's just say I was not Gilda.

V-Sweetheart

New in Town
SweetieStarr said:

I used foam rollers to see how that would work and I rolled them going up. When I took the rollers out and brushed it -- let's just say I was not Gilda.

MY hair is not as long as Gilda's but to get a more vintage look, I set my hair with foam rollers all the time. I roll them down. ie. the hair under. I also use a really light setting lotion mixed with water. Then I use that antifrizz stuff too to kind of weight down my hair. (I live in humidity and have curly hair) I would fool around and see what combination of stuff works for you. However, I would roll the hair down. Good luck!!

JupitersDarling

One of the Regulars
I tried this on saturday.
No Gilda-girl look for me. Darn!

I couldn't get the same amount of loft on top, so it looked very, very flat on top and like poodle tails on the bottom (I used a wee bit of setting lotion ,but no anti-frizz stuff- cuz I didn't have any!). It didn't actually start looking remotely Gilda-y until the next day when the curls relaxed a bit.

a good short cut is to make medium sized pincurls at the ear level
I had to laugh when I read this, because I have tried pincurls 3-4 times, and rag curls are still much closer to being a 'shortcut' than pincurls for me :p !

sweatyspaghetti

Familiar Face
JupitersDarling said:
I tried this on saturday.
No Gilda-girl look for me. Darn!

I couldn't get the same amount of loft on top, so it looked very, very flat on top and like poodle tails on the bottom (I used a wee bit of setting lotion ,but no anti-frizz stuff- cuz I didn't have any!). It didn't actually start looking remotely Gilda-y until the next day when the curls relaxed a bit.

I had to laugh when I read this, because I have tried pincurls 3-4 times, and rag curls are still much closer to being a 'shortcut' than pincurls for me :p !

well,ragcurls are much easier,but they take more...i dunno what the word is,but they are difficult to handle. because you have to make sure they don't fall out,and the stray hairs don't get knotted with the rags.

and by the way ladies, do not use old towels or anything silky!! if you do,your screwed, it will only make it frizzy,and makes you hair feel like wool! even if you use anti frizz serum. i find an old t shirt,or pillowcase to be perfect,just make the rags thicker, like 2 in. and 6-8 in. long. that seems to work with my hair, but my hair is long and layered ALL OVER. this hair might not work with shorter hair,so if the pin curls and rags don't work- use perm rods,the easiest thing i can think of!!!!!!!

sweatyspaghetti

Familiar Face
SweetieStarr said:

im sorry,but FOAM ROLLERS DO NOT WORK!!! all they do is make the hair feel weird,and if you rolled up.....disaster.

get some natural fabric like cotton, pillow cases are my favorite,and just cut them up in ,what looks to be, long rectangles. make sure to roll them down and NOT TIGHT. make a pretty bow coz they seem to hold the hair better.

Vanessa

One Too Many
sweatyspaghetti said:
im sorry,but FOAM ROLLERS DO NOT WORK!!! all they do is make the hair feel weird,and if you rolled up.....disaster.

But wait, I don't think a blanket statement like that about foam rollers is fair. Different techniques work for different people. It's a matter of trying everything out on your hair to see what works for you. I know people who swear by setting lotion - that it's the only thing that will hold pincurls in. I personally just don't use it. Maybe once or twice to test it out, but I found I have a lasting curl without it, so for me, why bother with it?

Similarly, I've discovered how well foam rollers work for me and I almost always use them when I 'set' my hair. I find them comfortable to sleep in, easy to remove and beyond easy to put in. I don't even need a mirror most times I've done them so much. Forgive my 'deer in headlights' expression, but this hairstyle was accomplished using foam curlers:

33880391406_0_ALB.jpg

It's all about experimentation - everyone's hair has a different history. Genetics, dying, perming, cut, daily wear & tear, oils, treatments - try everything at least once to see the result and modify your plan of hairstyling attack based upon those same results.

Vanessa,
Defender of Maligned Foam Rollers Worldwide

Hondo

One Too Many
va va voom!

Excuse me please :rolleyes:
I saw the reference to Rita Hayworth, so I HAD to take a peek in here ;)

Very beautiful Vanessa, love the it, looks great! :eusa_clap

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Rita had her hairline raised substantially, through electrolysis, early on in her career.

Not that there's anything wrong with that......:eek:

Vanessa

One Too Many
Tomasso said:
Rita had her hairline raised substantially, through electrolysis, early on in her career.

Not that there's anything wrong with that......:eek:

Most people aren't familiar with her earlier photos/look. . . very different from her heyday on film.

margamirror.jpg

ritacansino.jpg

SuperKawaiiMama

One of the Regulars
What a bag of tricks that Rita had! I've never seen those photos, and it just goes to show what a little careful editing of a look can achieve.
As for getting Gilda hair, I use hot rollers on dry, not just washed, hair. Basically rolling the hair down wards, with the curlers in parallel lines across the scalp. That way I get a more even wave, rather than random curls.
Here's one I did quickly the other night. It is a little difficult to see the details on such dark hair, but I think you get the drift. I didn't do the big wave in front, but I usually achieve that by putting one very large roller (pre-sprayed with setting lotion) sideways at the front so it falls over the eye.

2867789580_7a5d69f45b_o.jpg

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
LOL at foam rollers not working...I set my hair on them several times a week and have done so for the last couple of years. I find they work just fine! As for Gilda hair, well I could do with some of Rita's length and thickness!

sweatyspaghetti

Familiar Face
Fleur De Guerre said:
LOL at foam rollers not working...I set my hair on them several times a week and have done so for the last couple of years. I find they work just fine! As for Gilda hair, well I could do with some of Rita's length and thickness!

i didn't mean that they didn't work at all,i just meant that it might not give the signature "Gilda look"

but the pincurl setting i swear by for any hair do,is this:http://www.vintagememoirs.com/images/hair/glamor2.jpg
:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner