Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Road signs from the late 30s to WW2 era?

ChiTownScion

Call Me a Cab
Hmmm.. Found them here: http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/nji/nji3250.htm
Pretty pricey for something I could easily make on my own...

And I'm gonna guess that anything you'd make would be better detailed and more prototype specific.

I run my equipment at a club with a 10.5 HO scale mile mainline (mostly double track) and over 200 members. It's nice because I have access to a huge layout that I could never afford, but the drawback is that it is neither too prototype nor era specific.

My kudos in your efforts as to zeroing in on both time and prototype. If the weathering of your rolling stock is any indication, my bet is that you're going to raise the bar on this railroad to Art Form. Best wishes. And I hope to see more photos here of your work in progress.

ChiTownScion

Call Me a Cab
There's a place on Broadway here in Denver that bills itself as something of a mecca for model railroading enthusiasts. Is it indeed true?

Did a check, and that must be Caboose Hobbies, a retailer with a pretty complete website. I have never done business with them, and have never discussed them with friends, so I can't really say whether it's a mecca or not.

I'm keeping my own purchases in the hobby somewhat limited these days. The "must haves" are fewer, and I'm spending more on clothes as I age.

The standard joke here is my wife asking, "How many trains do you need??" I usually reply rhetorically, "How many wives do I need?" I then explain that it's really only one train: I just have never coupled all of my cars and locomotives together to run it as one train.

p51

One Too Many
My kudos in your efforts as to zeroing in on both time and prototype. If the weathering of your rolling stock is any indication, my bet is that you're going to raise the bar on this railroad to Art Form. Best wishes. And I hope to see more photos here of your work in progress.
Thanks, I really appreciate that!
There are lots of better modelers out there than me, but I am looking forward to getting the scenery done and making it look more than just some trains running along a bare plywood table...
Did a check, and that must be Caboose Hobbies, a retailer with a pretty complete website. I have never done business with them, and have never discussed them with friends, so I can't really say whether it's a mecca or not.
Been there several years ago, back when Gary Coleman (from 'Different Strokes' TV show fame) still worked there.
It was a HUGE store if memory serves. The book section alone was bigger than many wntire hobyb shops. The case with brass locomotives in it was quite impressive.
If I ever get back to Denver for anything, I plan on hitting the place again for sure.
There's a true Mecca in Golden, The Colorado RR Museum, as well as several RR related sights in the general Denver area...

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy