Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Samurai jeans belt - how thick would be too thick?

Bennarion

One Too Many
I succumbed to temptation and bought one nearly new Samurai belt size 36 off eBay - at nearly retail price once I pay custom duties etc. currently enroute from US to UK.

I could have bought one from their UK website but they only have size 32 which I believe is too short for me - I wear 30-32 trousers so 34 belt would be ideal size but I reckon given this is a beast of a belt 36 would be fine for me.

Immediately I now have two new problems:

1) buy some jeans that have belt loops big enough for this beast

2) worry if my aero KoTR jacket can fit over this belt! I ordered 19” hem width and reckon the cutting has probably been done already. Even not, I wouldn’t change it for the sake of fitting over a big belt

That may lead to problem 3) if I can only wear this belt under my size 40 aero HWM, but then this belt is in tan and my HWM is in black - what a miss match…

Still I wouldn’t buy such a belt in black as I’d love to see how the tan color develops over years of usage

The list of problems and paradoxes continues… such is the nature of (my) human stupidity.

Now some of you may be thinking about getting a Samurai belt!
I think you'll like him. There is nothing like this close. Natural color is the most interesting, suitable for any color. The color will change and it's interesting. Well-known jeans brands make loops big enough to fit this belt. This belt is usually taken a size larger. There shouldn't be any problems with the jacket.

VansonRider

One of the Regulars
I think matching all the leather colors throughout an outfit looks a bit silly and uninspired. I used to do so myself for years though lol.

An outfit that looks coherent but isn't perfectly color matched looks much more playful imo.

Black jacket, dark brown belt (doesn't show in the pic) chocolate brown suede boots.

View attachment 615586
But what slacks are those? They almost look like breeches?

KBlake

One Too Many
I find it that belts that are too thick, as in above 0.5 mm, don't really do anything for keeping your pants in pace as you can't get them to naturally shape around your waist.
Interesting. I actually find the opposite, that my thin pliable belts stretch and don't actually hold my pants where i want them. I made a belt recently with super stiff and thick hermann oak that will not stretch and it holds my jeans exactly where i want them.

NamoAmituofo

Familiar Face
Interesting. I actually find the opposite, that my thin pliable belts stretch and don't actually hold my pants where i want them. I made a belt recently with super stiff and thick hermann oak that will not stretch and it holds my jeans exactly where i want them.
Post some pics please!! Would love to see.

I once got a piece of 7-8mm oak bark tanned butt and it smelled tallow inside out - too small for belt but I made a big strop for sharpening knives and 10 years on it still smells lovely

KBlake

One Too Many
Post some pics please!! Would love to see.

I once got a piece of 7-8mm oak bark tanned butt and it smelled tallow inside out - too small for belt but I made a big strop for sharpening knives and 10 years on it still smells lovely
Here you go!
IMG_9299.jpeg
IMG_9334.jpeg

Edward

Bartender
I think a tan-coloured belt goes perfectly with black jackets (and all others too)

It's definitely one of those subjective things. I'm not keen on the mix for myself if it has aged to an amber, deeper tan, but a 'fresh' natural leather is as close to a neutral as you'll get without going to a white belt. (I like a white belt with pegged slacks, not tried one with jeans yet...).

NamoAmituofo

Familiar Face
Nice thick belts! You could also bevel the edges a little and burnish them - it’s been a decade since I played with leather blanks but think it’s some kind of gum that you apply and rub to burnish. It keeps the edges polished and not fray

Under 5 they are easily wearable. past 5mm they become a utility belt. I have 2 of my belts in this picture, Filson double belt (left - 8 mm), Filson bridle belt (right - 4mm).

8 mm, belt gets used only if i am carrying my ruger alaskan (almost weighs 5 lbs when loaded along with holster), which is pretty rare.

View attachment 615567

You can hunt elephant with that Ruger lol. Awesome.

I like thick belts, what is this one?

hardlyworkingman

Familiar Face
You can hunt elephant with that Ruger lol. Awesome.

I like thick belts, what is this one?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou