Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Seeking some G-1 constuction thoughts

sixties.nut

I needed to start this topic in order to ask some opinions on jacket construction, and to reply to questions that were previously asked on anothers topic. I'm trying to be respectful and not get more lost at the same time, this a BIG LOUNGE!

Firstly a big welcome to Herk115 and narwhale too, from another newbie here! I suspect we'll find the right way to go in order to pick out a jacket which will suit our purposes. There is already a wealth of information here we just need to sift through it to find the right choice is all.

I think USAAFAcePilot's choice looks to me like the right way to go for him seeing that he's asking about crushed caps, tie, trousers, etc. It appears he's going for the whole kit-n-kaboodle look. Which is fine I understand that. I also see where the other mens opinions come into play with this as well. That jacket isn't what I'd exactly call reasonably priced when they start out priced at four to five hundred.

In my budget when we hit three hundred why we're already at DEFCON IV with sirens blaring, red lights flashing. The whole speel. That's just considering a stock jacket. By the time I am able to find the source that will accomodate my request to have the thinsulate lining put in. That's an addition hundred or so. Then to have almost a dozen or so patches sewn on before the lining is sewn, that's another hundred or so. You can see where this is heading?

I'm just trying to find a jacket that is very close to accurate as I can get; and, still have it made to be warm as it will see daily use in the winter to early spring season. Going on that I'm trying to figure out which material it is that looks really bad on the cuffs and waistline with the unsightly pilling. Authentic or not, I hope to avoid that material, be it wool or knitted cotton/rayon.

The only other thing I can't figure out from web images is the fur collar; which one is better in terms of holding up? Is it the Mouton wool or the synthetic material? The one I wore did not come with fur. It did have the provision buttons and tuck inserts on the leather collar but no fur and without any firsthand experience with either, Authentic or not? which is the better material? Or none?

Last item I wanted to seek some opinions on was concerning the blood chit. Since I am not entitled to wear one, I thought I would instead use the eagle, globe and anchor emblem in it's place. I received a ten inch multi-colored patch that looks just dandy I tell you. This is the instruction I'm planning on giving the seamstress. I would like to have this particular patch sewn on inside the jacket yet not have it sewn through the leather. Meaning that I want the patch only to be sewn thru the cotton tobacco brown lining (some call it orange/tan) and the thinsulate lining plus any special backing that they might need to use if any.

I'm planning this because, once I get used to wearing the jacket and it's somewhat broken in, I might at that later date wish to have some artwork painted on and I'll need to not have stitching visible. I was thinking of a scene depicting an F-4 piercing through some clouds. Something small just above the back belt panel, with the patches along the top and sides. On the front left panel there would be three, the II Wing diamond, a four inch Squadron, then below that another four inch Group patch.

So, the question since I digressed is, does anyone with patches experience have any idea if the inside patch will hold up, not being sewn through the leather? This is one of the more durable (stiff) woven patches we're looking at.

Replies:

Herk: I am still looking for a U.S.S. Hancock patch; the one just befoe the last design. The last design did not have the CVA-19 designation on it, just had the shield. I cannot find this one at all. The only other one I am not happy with is one of the Provisional Service Battalion K-Bay. This I imagine would be like finding a needle in a haystack. I have the 3rd Radio Battalion which is what PSB was absorbed into. It in itself is a nice patch, tho not truely accurate for my era. Thanks for looking into it for me, I appreciate your offer!

narwhale: I am pretty sure in the classifieds here, I saw a size 38 for sale. It did not have any replies so I would look and see if you can hustle up some more information on it. I know for sure I saw some pretty good condition 38's on the auction site last weekend. I watched them to see how they did and the best one (A-2) went for less than fifty dollars! The best G-1 went for just over a hundred. (the a-2's were in 38 the g-1 were my size 44)

Thans to all who have shared experience with us. Especially Peacoat and the man who said not to buy the expensive piece of junk that I was just about to pull the trigger on. I already have so much expensive junk around as it is!

With much respect to all,
Mike

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn