Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sgt. Saunders - COMBAT

MDFrench

A-List Customer
Hey all,

Can someone tell me what is up with Saunders' helmet? Anyone know what that camo covering is? Was that WWII issue - I've never seen that except on John Wayne in the Sands of Iwo Jima. Was it normally a Pacific thing?

Where can I get a reproduction helmet with that camo jobby on it?

Thanks,
Mike

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Camo was pulled from the ETO not long after Dday. Too much friendly fire as the Germans were already using camo patterns that could be mistaken for the US flavor at a glance.
I believe it was all sent off to the Army in the PTO.
But most people associate the helmet covers w/ the USMC.

'Saunders' wore it cuz his neck ached from wearing a real helmet. A light plastic helmet was made up. The camo cover helped disguise its plastic nature. But you can tell by the way it bounces when he slams it on a tabletop in disgust.

Biltmore Bob

Suspended
The Marine's had a reversible camoflage utility uniform for use in the Pacific Theater during WWII. One side was green pattern and the other a brown pattern. The helmet covers were still issued with the steel pot helmet well into the 80's. Then slowly the woodland pattern replaced it, then eventually the old steel pot was replaced with the Fritz kevlar helmet. Used to be that a squad of Marines could forage the Ville and get a couple of steel pots boiling over with some mean gumbo. Can't do that with the Fritz helmet.

Forrestal

One of the Regulars
No, I think Vic Morrow played Sgt. Saunders while Rick Jason played Lieutenant Gil Hanley. If Jennifer Jason Leigh is related to anybody, it’s Rick Jason.
Regards,
Forrestal

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Forrestal said:
No, I think Vic Morrow played Sgt. Saunders while Rick Jason played Lieutenant Gil Hanley. If Jennifer Jason Leigh is related to anybody, it’s Rick Jason.

Vic Morrow did play Sgt. Saunders and Rick Jason was Lt. Hanley. According to her bio, Jennifer Jason Leigh is the daughter of Vic Morrow and actress-screenwriter Barbara Turner. She took the name 'Jason' from family friend, actor Jason Robards.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24