Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sheet Music

I found these while looking for something else. :p I do not remember exactly where I got these but they are interesting. I thought I would share.

Picture155.jpg

Picture158.jpg

Picture166.jpg

Regards to all,

J

Rundquist

A-List Customer
Sheet music used to be a big industry back in the old days. Bands would be expected to play the latest music on the hit parade. This was back when popular music was played my real musicians instead of people that can only play 5 notes (like today). Don't get me wrong, some popular bands (like Glen Miller) still played some really jive (as in crappy) music, but at least his band was comprised of excelent musicians, including himself (he was a strong section man). What was the point of my post again? Oh yeah, leave my beer alone. :cool2:

Mycroft

One Too Many
Rundquist said:
Sheet music used to be a big industry back in the old days. Bands would be expected to play the latest music on the hit parade. This was back when popular music was played my real musicians instead of people that can only play 5 notes (like today). Don't get me wrong, some popular bands (like Glen Miller) still played some really jive (as in crappy) music, but at least his band was comprised of excelent musicians, including himself (he was a strong section man). What was the point of my post again? Oh yeah, leave my beer alone. :cool2:

Yea, also self playing piano roll thingys. FOr more info, I recomend some of the sections in the Ray Charles Autobiography: Brother Ray.

Michaelson

One Too Many
My grandmother used to demonstrate sheet music when she was a young girl at a music store in my home town back in the 20's and 30's. Music stores usually kept a piano player on staff to play pieces for potential customers, sort of like the audio stands you find in CD stores to play demo's of CD's before purchase. I was lucky to 'inherit' a bunch of sheet music and music books, some by Ellington, Kenton and old Ziegfield Follis shows that I've played to the point their falling apart. Regards. Michaelson

Michaelson

One Too Many
I have. You still can't arrest acid based paper much. The slick papered books are holding up well, but the areas around the staples have fallen apart. The Ellington book is probably the worse shape. I'll just have to be easy with it, but it's hard to give up playing the good old tunes. The Kenton book is the most difficult, Artistry in Rythem for example, is one flatted 7th in the right hand after another. Luckily I had big hands and can reach that, but I'm sure they didn't have many sales on HIS books! ;) Regards. Michaelson

Wild Root

Gone Home
Oh, here we go sheet music! I have a few pieces and I love to buy them. I have a few Glenn Miller’s (Rundquist, Glenn never made a crappy song!) sheets like Moonlight Serenade, “What’s the Matter With Me?� “Careless�, and “Sweet Eloise� which is a great song if you haven’t heard it.

I have some Bing Crosby sheets from the early 30’s and some Al Jolson’s from the 20’s!

I like the sheets that came from the big movies like 42nd Street and the other big shows. The graphics are to cool and real art deco on most. I also have a rare Boswell Sister’s sheet music as well!

Here are a few that I have, Enjoy.

Root.

0005471va.jpg

herecomewaves2nq.jpg

image1310ta.jpg

sweeteloise7wz.jpg

Michaelson

One Too Many
I have a copy of Moonlight Seranade by Miller with a cover just like the last one, but a differnet overall color. Regards. Michaelson

Rundquist

A-List Customer
Wild Root said:
(Rundquist, Glenn never made a crappy song!)

Well, to each his own [huh]. I like spontenaiety in my music. Miller had guys playing written out solos. Everything about about his band was calculated (almost like a precuser to today's pop music). It was once said, "It's too bad that Glen Miller didn't live and his music didn't die." I like Moonlight Serenade" enough, but not after hearing it a million times. I could have done without ever hearing "Pennsylvania 6500" though. Cheers

Wild Root

Gone Home
Ok bud, you have to look at all of the 200 something songs Glenn recorded to really understand and appreciate his music. Yes, if I ever hear “In The Mood� one more time I think I’ll kill some one! Some of his stuff is over played granted but have you ever heard “Glenn Island Special�? Or most of the stuff his military band recorded? If you hear any of his radio broadcasts from 1939 to 1944 you will hear that the solos are different in all the songs! Live broadcasts are where it’s at man. Glenn wasn’t a nazi to his band members. They were given some freedom when playing live. Yes, not as much as some of the other jazz bands but what made Glenn so good was he was polished and he knew what he wanted and how to get it. He didn’t sell million selling records because he made crappy songs. Today most of his top hits are rather tiered and worn out. If people started to play his more obscure material, then I’m sure most of you would say that he’s really good.

Die hard Miller fan to the end,

Root.

Michaelson

One Too Many
Rundquist said:
Well, to each his own [huh]. I like spontenaiety in my music. Miller had guys playing written out solos. Everything about about his band was calculated (almost like a precuser to today's pop music). It was once said, "It's too bad that Glen Miller didn't live and his music didn't die." I like Moonlight Serenade" enough, but not after hearing it a million times. I could have done without ever hearing "Pennsylvania 6500" though. Cheers

As much as I love Miller, and as many times as I've played his tunes both as a bassist and on recordings, there's nothing I can argue with in Adam's post. Miller was a formula writer, plain and simple. He had that 'sound' that was his trade mark, and it was only through hard discipline on his players, who WANTED to have freer rein in their playing, kept that sound the same throughout the band's time. You hear a Miller tune, you KNOW it's Miller. Sure, he could drive hard when he wanted to. Heck, he started out playing on lake cruise boats with Goodman and Dorsey in dance and jazz ensembles, and could blow a mean horn when he needed to.

As as aside, Goodman started out the same way, and his band evolved to a more sophisticated sound during the war years. I really enjoy his stuff he did pre-1940's, though he still did hard driving stuff later, he settled down when he saw the public was buying Miller's style more, and the bands of the War years began to become orchestras rather than hard driving swing bands of the previous decade.

Love Miller, always will, and agree with Rundquist too.

Regards. Michaelson

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo