Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shipping from overseas to the US

newtojackets

Practically Family
Has anyone done this before? I read online that I may need to attached a copy of my ID to the side of the package, is this true?

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
What carrier? No copy of ID needs to be attached, but a customs declaration is sometimes attached outside the package for inspection.

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
You can easily ship, using any of the international courier services. My recomendation from Eurpoe would be DHL, due to them (i) effecting very fast delivery and (ii) insuring the package all the way (although I am sure, others will do that too).
No ID needed, just a customs declaration with indication of item, value and weight. return data recommended but not madatory (You will want to do that in case delivery fails).

newtojackets

Practically Family
You can easily ship, using any of the international courier services. My recomendation from Eurpoe would be DHL, due to them (i) effecting very fast delivery and (ii) insuring the package all the way (although I am sure, others will do that too).
No ID needed, just a customs declaration with indication of item, value and weight. return data recommended but not madatory (You will want to do that in case delivery fails).
yep, have done all of that

newtojackets

Practically Family
UPS Worldwide Express has been a choice of mine from EU to US. I once got a jacket in under 24 hours UK to NJ, for about 30 bucks, but I think that was an exception.
one more thing, with the customs form, do I put that inside the packaging or attach it to the outside?

UPS Worldwide Express has been a choice of mine from EU to US. I once got a jacket in under 24 hours UK to NJ, for about 30 bucks, but I think that was an exception.
Yeah that service is only available to shippers that bulk ship. I tried using that service for a return once, $197 to the UK.

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
You can expect ca. EUR 60 from mainland Europe for expediated shipping and insurance. Recipient has to pick up custom duties and applicable taxes, of course.

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Furthermore any parcel valued at under $800 does not trigger tax in the US.

DHL tried to ding me with an invoice for some customs fees (and their own processing fee) for a parcel from Aero worth well below that, with their own itemized sheet showing so. I imagine they want/expect people to just see the email and immediately pay for fear of losing their package. I was tempted… but a day or two after my call to DHL pointing out the fact, the customs charge they sent was dismissed. Better to get my parcel late than to pay an invalid fee!

newtojackets

Practically Family
Just to confirm, when using UPS did they provide you with a envelope to attach the form. I usually choose drop off, but the option wasn't available, so they're doing collection instead (so I'm not sure if they'll bring the envelope for the form)

Al 916

One Too Many
You can expect ca. EUR 60 from mainland Europe for expediated shipping and insurance. Recipient has to pick up custom duties and applicable taxes, of course.
As Tom says, it appears to be significantly cheaper from the UK (or Europe) to the US than from the US to UK (Europe).

@newtojackets
if you are in the UK I use https://www.parcel2go.com/parcel-delivery/usa Forms to dload and print out (then put them in a blank env marked Customs and tape to the parcel).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonio925