Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shrinking social circles in the 21st century

Story

I'll Lock Up
Fascinating article on social trends. The rise of the internet has made friendships with people 100 to 5,000 miles easier, yet we as a species haven't been able to parley that as quickly with face-to-face friendships. While there's nothing wrong per-se with Quality over Quantity, it's dangerous when you have no *depth* in your circle of friends.

Americans' circle of close friends shrinking
Mon Jun 26, 2006 8:48 AM ET

By Amanda Beck

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Americans are more socially isolated than they were 20 years ago, separated by work, commuting and the single life, researchers reported on Friday.

Nearly a quarter of people surveyed said they had "zero" close friends with whom to discuss personal matters. More than 50 percent named two or fewer confidants, most often immediate family members, the researchers said.

"This is a big social change, and it indicates something that's not good for our society," said Duke University Professor Lynn Smith-Lovin, lead author on the study to be published in the American Sociological Review.

Smith-Lovin's group used data from a national survey of 1,500 American adults that has been ongoing since 1972.

She said it indicated people had a surprising drop in the number of close friends since 1985. At that time, Americans most commonly said they had three close friends whom they had known for a long time, saw often, and with whom they shared a number of interests.

They were almost as likely to name four or five friends, and the relationships often sprang from their neighborhoods or communities.

Ties to a close network of friends create a social safety net that is good for society, and for the individual. Research has linked social support and civic participation to a longer life, Smith-Lovin said.

People were not asked why they had fewer intimate ties, but Smith-Lovin said that part of the cause could be that Americans are working more, marrying later, having fewer children, and commuting longer distances.

The data also show the social isolation trend mirrors other class divides: Non-whites and people with less education tend to have smaller social networks than white Americans and the highly educated.

That means that in daily life, personal emergencies and national disasters like Hurricane Katrina, those with the fewest resources also have the fewest personal friends to call for advice and assistance.

"It's one thing to know someone and exchange e-mails with them. It's another thing to say, 'Will you give me a ride out of town with all of my possessions and pets? And can I stay with you for a couple or three months?" Smith-Lovin said. (ok, did that REALLY used to happen often in the 2nd half of the 20th century???)

"Worrying about social isolation is not a matter of nostalgia for a warm and cuddly past. Real things are strongly connected with that," added Harvard University Public Policy Professor Robert Putnam, author of "Bowling Alone," a book on the decline of American community.

He suggested flexible work schedules would allow Americans to tend both personal and professional lives.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Is it a matter of not having time in our lives? Or has the internet made it possible to have friendships with people who are more specifically compatible? I wonder if this article includes internet-only friends in one's social circle?

This place is a great example. In my own quite small circle of friends there are wonderful, intelligent, interesting people. But here, I find truly fascinating friends with specific things in common.

Which brings up a bigger question hinted at in another thread. Are the people you know only via the internet "real" friends? Or is it altogether new territory so there is no answer? Can you ever really know someone with whom you've only exchanged typed notes here and there?

Braxton36

One of the Regulars
While I think internet friendships can certainly be "real" - I don't think anything can replace face-to-face interaction and shared experiences.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I met my very best friend via the Internet -- we live about 160 miles apart, so we only get to meet in person once or twice a month, maybe. But we communicate twice a day, most days, via AIM, and have managed to connect in a way that might not have been possible if we'd met thru conventional means. So I've learned thru experience not to write off the idea of "net friendships" as being truly meanigful -- but at the same time, they do need to have a real-life component, I think, to really fully evolve.

I think of the Internet as a method of communication, really just a typewriter crossed with a telephone. Regardless of the communication system you use, it's possble to make strong personal connections -- as long as you're willing to open up and really communicate.

Story

I'll Lock Up
I've been reading The Thirties: A Time to Remember, a collection of essays by various authors recounting the turbulent decade (N.Y.: Simon and Schuster 1962, Don Congdon, ed

One article (Creighton Peet's THE GREAT NICKLE PANIC which I can't find anywhere online) covers the 1931 tale of billionaire John B Rutherford, who bankrolled a bunch of outtawork actors to buy up nickles on NYC's streets. He figured that since the whole modern world was fueled by nickle transactions, a sudden dearth of them would slow the pace of life back to something more friendly in that city.

Direct quote -
"The city was too large, traffic was very trying and life was not the simple, leisurely thing it should be"

Santayana's quote strikes again.

mikepara

Practically Family
It's a start.

If we stuck to 'reply postings' only, then our common bond of a fondness for variations of a theme would remain that regardless of how often the same people communicated.

However, we are a social animal and will meet up in groups given an excuse. Indeed there has been examples of this shown here at the lounge.

A good time with a friendly atmosphere will do for some and one can come away with a sense of friendship from a fun evening spent with virtual strangers.

Meeting each other does not automaticly mean we're going to actually like each other in the flesh. Some people really do hit it off I believe it is possible to progress beyond casual acquaintance with like minded souls.

The internet forum is a good filter. We're half way there, just by repeat visiting.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
What I find interesting about this article, is that I can relate to a lot of it. I dont have any close physical friends, I could have used some because a great depression happened in my life last year.

Ive also noticed that in big cities, this phenomenon is prolly greater. People have their guard up, and most cant find that chum to chat with (roommates not included) so they bottle up this emotion that needs to simply be verbalized, and go to shrinks instead. Thats what I did, but I felt dumb, so I stopped.

I also noticed that a lot of people are ' friends by location'. I know a lot of people I worked with, I would consider family. I worked about 30 miles down the bay, and I quit by job last year after working over 4 years with these people. Since then, after I have emailed them quite a few times, I have gotten no responses of any kind. It seems to be 'Well you arnt convenient to see anymore, so whats the point?' That kind of shi# really pisses me off big time!

Or maybe its just me :) I could be evil. :rage:

LD

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
The only problem I have with the internet, is not being able to communicate as thoroughly, as I would prefer. You cannot see the person's facial expressions, and another aspect is, when you see someone in the flesh, you can naturaly (usually) discern wether the person is trustable or not, you cannot get that via the internet, a person can portray themselves however they may want.
I think it also depends on what you call a 'friend'. I have many aquantances, but have only two friends. For me, it is very hard finding someone who you can trust with all the intimate details of your life, who stands beside you during rough seasons in your life and is a person concerned with your personal growth. These people are few and far between, and is priceless when you find them.
The internet: I feel like most of you I am still in the process of getting to know you. There are some that I am already quite fond of and look foward to each day conversing with.

VintageJess

One of the Regulars
Lady Day,

It's not just you--I have noticed the same things often in my life. It seems that we make "for the time being" friends. People that we attend college with, work with, live next door to, or what have you. But when you move on from that situation, the friendships kind of die out. I suppose mostly because the friendship was really based on what you had in common at that time (be it work or community, or whatever else.) Once in awhile, I will forge a deeper friendship from these situations, but I find that is rare.

Perhaps the fact that we are a much more transient and changing society nowadays could be contributing to the shrinking social circles...For instance, many of our parents and grandparents worked in the same job for until they retired. But today, it is fairly common to switch careers or employers every few years. Also, many of us today move frequently or move away from our hometowns as opposed to the times when most people lived and worked in the same area for their entire lives.

Jessica

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou