Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Singled Out: How Two Million Women Survived Without Men After the First World War

Story

I'll Lock Up
This area seemed as good as any for this book review, one of those societal factors that framed the 'Golden Age' and yet doesn't seem to be discussed much.

There's also an audio review of the book on NPR somewhere.

The Found Generation
Review of: Singled Out: How Two Million Women Survived Without Men After the First World War
http://www.nysun.com/article/68776

In 1919, a young, well-to-do British war widow is invited to a ball in London. In the name of perseverance, she puts on a gown and fixes her hair. But when she arrives at the party, her first impression is that she has misunderstood the invitation. The room is full of brave-faced, ball-gowned women like herself; was it a women-only, hen party? At last, she spies a man in tails, then another through the crowd, and then a few others. These were the men who had survived. There were, it seemed, 10 women for every man. Remembering the ball decades later, she told her nephew: "It was as if every man you had ever danced with was dead."

How, asks Virginia Nicholson in her compassionate and provocative "Singled Out: How Two Million Women Survived Without Men After the First World War" (Viking Penguin, 312 pages, £20), did the deaths of more than 700,000 British men in the First World War affect the women they left behind? So accustomed have we become to the elegiac notion of a generation destroyed — the Flower of Europe crushed on the blood-soaked battlegrounds of Flanders — that we have neglected what their survivors achieved in their stead. Yes, Ms. Nicholson assents, the mass death of men broke hearts and ruined lives. But it also, at least in some cases, transformed women who would otherwise have been stay-at-home wives and mothers into trailblazing journalists, scientists, business executives, and explorers.

"Singled Out," just published in England, tells a story of making do and getting on, braced by moments of glamour and intrepid assaults on formerly male-only bastions of power and authority. Whether they sought to find a husband or to provide for themselves, unmarried women in postwar Britain faced formidable obstacles. As newspaper headlines screeched the findings of the 1921 census — Britain had 1 3/4 million more women than men — middle-class girls who dreamed of a grand passion had to content themselves instead with a lifetime of lonely evenings. In the words of one, "It is not only the Beloved that death takes. It is all the bright hopes."

Ms. Nicholson delves into lives impoverished by the lack of a male wage earner, uncovering business girls who resorted to soup kitchens intended for prostitutes because they did not earn enough to eat. Eccentrically rouged cat ladies and sublimating nannies make an appearance in this book, as, too, do the rare leggy beauties who seized upon the man shortage to stake out lives as fun-loving singletons.

Drawing upon an admirable fund of research, Ms. Nicholson very skillfully balances unmitigated tragedy with tales of opportunity redeemed from disaster. The death of her sweetheart propelled Gertrude Caton-Thompson from an upper middle-class girlhood filled with golf, bridge, and parties to a university course in archaeology. Never to marry, Caton-Thompson became one of Britain's pre-eminent archaeologists. Ms. Nicholson excavates a legion of bachelor women pioneers for whom spinsterhood proved "a liberation and a launching pad," from the first woman curator at the London Zoo to the first woman judge, from the first woman to gain admission to the Institute of Locomotive Engineers to the first woman stockbroker. While Ms. Nicholson pays respectful attention to shattered dreams of romance and babies, she also reminds her readers "how depleting and exhausting love can be, and how its converse — solitude, independence and the freedom to work — can liberate and fulfill." Ms. Nicholson is too empathetic a historian to disdain those who simply fell apart, but it is clear that her own sympathies lie with women who picked up the pieces, such as the biologist Miss Honor Fell, who joyfully anticipated "an orgy of staining slides" during a Sunday alone in her Cambridge laboratory.

What remains underdeveloped in Ms. Nicholson's account is the extent to which these women were indeed caught in a demographic vise. Despite the book's dramatic subtitle, "How Two Million Women Survived Without Men After the First World War," Ms. Nicholson acknowledges what historians have long since proved: The number of spinsters did not in fact change significantly from the prewar to the postwar years. There had been more than 660,000 "surplus women" in the Edwardian period. A sharp decline in emigration to the colonies following the war righted what would otherwise have been a more serious imbalance.

Nonetheless, Ms. Nicholson often refers to the "surplus two million" as if they were a demographic fact rather than a cultural mirage. In so doing, she muddies the implications of a good point that she makes early in the book — that the war removed the shame from spinsterhood, which "could be regarded as a misfortune rather than a fault." There are tantalizing hints throughout "Singled Out" that a number of the unmarried, especially women with professional aspirations and lesbians, seized upon the infamous 2 million statistic to justify their own life choices. They were swimming upstream to an extent that even Ms. Nicholson doesn't credit: Far from declining, marriage rates boomed and connubiality reigned in the aftermath of World War I.

To the generations that followed, the postwar spinster more often appeared a pathetic casualty of the European conflict than the harbinger of a new world. Rescue missions — chief among them Muriel Spark's "The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie" — have been dishearteningly infrequent. In this rewarding book, the women singled out for spinsterhood finally get their not-so-quiet due. The unlikely progenitors of both the female executive and Bridget Jones, "surplus women," as Ms. Nicholson puts it, "had plenty of surplus energy, and they expended it on everything hitherto regarded as 'male'." Like the nonagenarian whom Ms. Nicholson interviewed at a nursing home on the English coast, many lived surprisingly unspinsterlike lives: "I don't think that going to bed is a great achievement. I didn't do that much; and if I did, I knew exactly what I was doing. Next question!"

carter

I'll Lock Up
Thanks Story, excellent review (and one of the best avatars on the Lounge).

I wonder how long we'll have to wait for this volume to be published in the U.S.

sweetfrancaise

Practically Family
Forget waiting for it to come out here--you'll be waiting a decade. Order it from Amazon UK! ;)

Edit to add: I just checked Amazon US, and although it's offered for sale, for about the same amount that you'd pay in the UK, it's currently "out of stock". Whatever that means...

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Perhaps rather tastelessly, I am reminded of a formal ball I attended recently at which about 80% of those attending were ladies, similarly 'dressed to the nines'. Their absent menfolk had not been cut down by Krupps, Maxims and Mausers, but by indolence, lack of gallantry and a failure to appreciate a man's role in life.

Just my opinion.

Let us not forget that the Spanish influenza epidemic of 1918-19 (which claimed my Grandfather, having survived the whole of WW1 at the front) killed at least 5 times as many people in England as had died in WW1.

Alan

Johnson, N.P.A.S. (2000) Aspects of the historical geography of the 1918-19 influenza pandemic
in Britain. Unpublished PhD Thesis, University of Cambridge, England.

Story

I'll Lock Up
Story said:

There's also an audio review of the book on NPR somewhere.

"

My bad - was BBC.
http://www.theworld.org

Singled Out

Virginia Nicholson wrote: "Singled Out: How Two Million Women Survived Without Men After the First World War."
About so-called "surplus women" in her new book. Nicholson says British society marginalized and mocked these women.

Excerpt from "Singled Out"

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Great story. In an interview with the author, the interviewr asked if she could assume the women also went without, ahem, physical intimacy. The author said not at all. This wa a time in the culture when there was much room for new bohemian attitudes iin Europe and new ways of viewing relationships. Perhaps it even had something to do with it.

If only I were a young male bohemian at the time with a legitimate excuse for not having gone off and died in a war.

Curt Dawson

Familiar Face
reetpleat said:
Great story. In an interview with the author, the interviewr asked if she could assume the women also went without, ahem, physical intimacy. The author said not at all. This wa a time in the culture when there was much room for new bohemian attitudes iin Europe and new ways of viewing relationships. Perhaps it even had something to do with it.

If only I were a young male bohemian at the time with a legitimate excuse for not having gone off and died in a war.
Sign me up a volunteer to help out these wonderful lady"s

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
reetpleat said:
AIUI, the opportunities might have been relatively few. British society was still quite status-conscious and restrictive, which is why these women largely didn't marry or remarry - they couldn't. And as for the young bohemians of that era, many considered heterosexuality itself to be pretty old hat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner