Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Slip Sliding Away

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender
I don't know if you have caught the news....but we have had freezing rain. It is ice city here. No one in their right mind was out driving on the streets that were nothing more than sheets of ice.

Of course I was out driving all day. :rolleyes:

Dalexs

Practically Family
On the bright side...

Oregon and Washington allow studded tires in the winter.
Of course, come nice weather, you now have to navigate the deep ruts that above said tires wear into said roads...

I'm not sure what I prefer, sliding down the on-ramps of the pacific northwest or slidingaround thesnow covered roads of New England!

Brad A. Cox

Familiar Face
Welcome to the land of ice and snow. Will it ever be summer again? We have been getting pounded over and over again by snow and ice. If it's not slick then you can't see more than a quarter of a mile in front of you because of the snow. I was out of power all last week. I'm a caveman baby!!!

Canadave

One Too Many
Do you guys really want to complain?...

My driveway -

mydriveway.jpg

My street -

mystreet.jpg

;) ;) ;)

David

Marlowe

One of the Regulars
Strewth!

(That's all I wanted to say, but the killjoy site software keeps telling me this:

1. The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.

So much for comedy...)

Canadave

One Too Many
I wasn't trying to pull the wool (newsboy) over your eyes (or hijack the thread), I was just kidding. That's the Trans-Labrador Highway, in north east Canada.

Here's my street -

street.JPG

and yard -

yard.JPG

A little more reasonable, eh?

David

Retro Grouch

One of the Regulars
Canadave,

The first pics look like spring on Trail Ridge Road. :eek: We don't get that much snow but the mountain back roads have been iced over for for about two months.

Tom

Renderking Fisk

Practically Family
Can’t speak for Dalexs cause he’s in the “Civilzed� part of New England…(you know… the part that has those “Traffic Light� machines
on almost every corner as you get closer to “Town�… ) but we’re getting HAMMERED with heavy snow and heavy and on the NOAA site they actually used the word “Danger� in the weather warning yesterday… this is what they’re telling us today:

NOAA said:
HEAVY SNOW WARNING

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE TAUNTON MA
741 AM EST SUN JAN 23 2005

.THE BLIZZARD OF 2005 IS NOW IN PROGRESS ACROSS PARTS OF COASTAL SOUTHERN NEW ENGLAND AS THOSE IN MASSACHUSETTS AND RHODE ISLAND ENDURE A STORM COMPARABLE TO THE BLIZZARD OF 78.

THIS STORM IS NOW BLASTING THE REGION IN ALL ITS FURY WITH WHITEOUT CONDITIONS...TEMPERATURES PLUMMETING INTO THE SINGLE NUMBERS AND TEENS...NORTHEAST TO NORTH WINDS OF 55 TO 75 MPH CREATING DRIFTS TO AT LEAST 6 FEET IN EXPOSED AREAS.

TRAVEL IS NOT RECOMMENDED UNTIL SOMETIME LATE TODAY OR TOMORROW...TO GIVE CREWS WHICH IN SOME CASES MAY HAVE STOPPED CLEARING ROADS FOR SAFETY REASONS...AN OPPORTUNITY TO CLEAR ROADS LATER TODAY WHEN THE STORM STARTS MOVING AWAY.

THIS IS LIKELY TO BE A RECORD SETTING SNOWSTORM IN BOSTON WHEN COMPARING AGAINST DATA...DATING BACK TO 1892. FOR PROVIDENCE THIS SHOULD BE A TOP 3 SNOW EVENT. THE 17.8 INCHES THERE AT 7AM MAKE IT THE 6TH WORST SNOWSTORM IN PROVIDENCE HISTORY DATING BACK TO 1905...HEADING FOR TOP 3 RANKING BY DAYS END.

BLIZZARD OR NEAR BLIZZARD CONDITIONS WILL OCCUR ALONG THE COAST AND HIGH TERRAIN THIS MORNING AND THEN GRADUALLY RECEDE TO ONLY THE IMMEDIATE COAST DURING THE AFTERNOON.

THIS IS A POTENTIALLY LIFE THREATENING SITUATION FOR THOSE WHO VENTURE OUT DURING THE HEIGHT OF THE STORM THIS MORNING.

AGAIN...TRAVEL IS NOT RECOMMENDED UNTIL LATE TODAY.

IF YOU LEAVE THE SAFETY OF BEING INDOORS...YOU ARE PUTTING YOUR LIFE AT RISK.

What makes it worse is that they gave up plowwing last night and just started again an hour ago.

Dalexs

Practically Family
I see your piddly 3 inches and raise you 6 feet!

truck1.jpg

As Mr Fisk mentioned, we are getting hammered.
For the most part it really is only about 2 -3 feet but with the gale force winds, the snow is drifting all over the place.

The back yard is one big snow drift from the window sills all the way across.
Now, I just have to find my snow shovel, its on the back porch somewhere!

Update: Found the shovel. The pile of snow behind the truck is the car!

Dalexs

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
I'll be praying for all you guys up north. We just squeeked by and missed the brunt of the storm. The weather guys were predicting that we'd get hammered, but ended up with only about 8-10 inches. Stay warm and stay safe!
kamikat

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24