Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sock Hop?

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
I just saw a flyer for a Sock Hop that will be in July.My hubby and I are thinking of going and have talked to the event planner about the possibility of doing a very basic jitterbug lesson.
Still shy about carrying my post-baby pounds,so the pressure to look extra cute is on.
I'm looking for suggestions other than poodle skirts.(everyone does those)
Normally,I'd show up in actual vintage to Wow everyone,but nothing fits with the exception of a few very dressy type cocktail dresses and I don't think that's the right look.
Suggestions?

TIA ladies,I know you all will come through with a fab idea.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Most gals wear pants to dances. Wide-leg are best: they flow and flutter as you move. However, capris or rolled jeans fit the period better. You'll probably see people there in everything but vintage.

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
Where will the dance be taking place? Is it a venue where other people will be arriving in "costume"? (Gah! I don't like that word!!) If so, a circle skirt might do the trick for you. Pair it with saddle shoes and a cute top and you're set. :)

crwritt

One Too Many
Are you teaching the lesson? If so, all eyes will be on you for a half hour at least. July in Texas sounds very warm, I would go for a cute sundress, either polka dot or floral, with a skirt that "knows how" to dance. By that I mean, the spinny kind. A bow or flower in your hair, and your favorite comfy and cute dancing shoes. Wear a little cardigan or shrug, and when it gets too warm, shrug it off.

Maybe people dress up differently where you live, but I've been to lots of swing dances over the years, and aside from halloween I've never seen anyone wear a poodle skirt.

In my opinion, a full circle skirt is not all that flattering if you are like me, and your extra weight is right around the waist. It just seems to make everything look bigger. An a line or gathered skirt looks better, and does not fly up as much when you spin.

At any rate, be comfortable and have fun dancing.

thebadmamajama

Practically Family
I think the rolled up jeans and a scarf on your head is a GREAT look--it's comfortable (it's what I wore last night to swing in and I got mucho compliments) and it's period and also casual enough to not be all jeweled up in vintage. :) Good luck--I'd love to see what you pick! :D

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
Thanks so much for all the ideas!:eusa_clap
This is a benefit that will probably attract the more "costume"(hate that word,too) side of the era.Not the usual swing dance or lindyhopper scene.There will be a few poodle skirts I'm sure,since the majority non-vintage/non-dancer type associates them with the 50s.
Which is why I'd like to show up in something they wouldn't think of.

The sundress may be the way to go,since Crwritt is correct and it is blazingly hot here already.I also like the cuffed jeans with a scarf look,but I might get too hot dancing in that.

crwritt

One Too Many
I'd love to see what you choose. As for me, I could never dance in jeans in the summer, and a pretty dress is so much more comfortable, and really makes me feel like dancing.

SarahLouise

Practically Family
crwritt said:
In my opinion, a full circle skirt is not all that flattering if you are like me, and your extra weight is right around the waist. It just seems to make everything look bigger. An a line or gathered skirt looks better, and does not fly up as much when you spin.

I totally agree with this. I wore a 1950s very high waisted circle skirt yesterday (with a rayon blouse tucked in with a belt to cinch it in) and I looked 10 times bigger than I actually am! I must admit the skirt is a little bit tight but I thought with the belt it would help accentuate my waist but overall I just looked much bigger. I think I'll be chucking that skirt to the back of my closet until I've lost a bit of weight lol

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
The hubby and I had a blast.Yes,it was a costumey version of the era,but everyone was super friendly and just out to have fun with it.A refreshing change from the normal bar atmosphere.
We danced lots,so there are very few pictures.We decided to dress a little above casual and just wear something we'd normally wear.

Here's JB:
47b7d929b3127cce86bd26a99fbf00000025109AbOXLFk0bS

Me:
47b7d929b3127cce86bc7c54bf2300000025109AbOXLFk0bS

I found my dress at Target on sale for $19.99 and it even has pockets,it's Isaac Mizrahi.(I think I want almost all the dresses he designed this year)
The peep-toes are from JcPenney and are the most comfortable heel that I've ever danced in.(Highly recommended)
Found my cardi at a garage sale for 50 cents and the purse is vintage.

Honey Doll

Practically Family
You and the hubby look fabulous!!!! Very cute dress...how did I miss that one at Target? The color is perfect on you.

Honey Doll

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters