Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Something Grandma use to make...

rebelgtp

One of the Regulars
Just thought that I would post this as I'm not sure I've ever heard of anyone else actually making them. This is a drink Grandma use to make on holiday mornings (before the coffee was even made), to kinda help get everyone through the family gatherings and everyone including the kids drank them. She called them Golden Angels, anyone else ever have them?

here is the basic run down of how to make them:
one regular can of frozen orange juice
3/4 of a can or so of 7up
1 tray of ice
2 tablespoons powdered sugar
1 egg
and as much vodka as it takes (normally around 4 or 5 shots when I make them but I think Grandma used more)

stick it all in a blender and blend it until its nice and smooth. kinda makes like a spiked orange julius especially if you use vanilla vodka (something my Mom use to make them with)

rebelgtp

One of the Regulars
Ah yes Grandma was one of a kind. She use to take me fishing and fossil hunting all the time when I was little. She is the one that taught me how to cook (and now I'm the best cook in my family). She actually had a lead foot to, it was kinda interesting riding in her car and she was passing everyone on the road. :eek:

As for the drink itself yeah its a wonderful way to get your way through the holidays. Its kind of interesting when you drink it because if you get the mix just right when you first drink it you get a chill, then the vodka starts to hit and you start to really warm up :D . And quite honestly after a couple of those I generally don't even need coffee in the morning lol

ezrydn

New in Town
She was a Grand Lady, My Grandmother. Used to hide Hershey Bars around the house when I was a child, so I would stick around hunting for them. She was a Southern Baptist Texan, dyed in the wool. Fried everything and was a sheer delight to know. Her claim to fame, however, was her Chocolate Pie. It was a receipe that her Grandmother had given to her (Ergo, Civil War era recipe). She was always expected to have one, or two, at each and every family gathering.

I can remember how people would literally fight, physically, over the last piece. We always knew that her pie would be there. Then, a few of years ago, at the age of 94, she left us. Prior to her departure, I went to her and asked her to show me how to make it. No one else in the family had ever asked. They just took it, and her, for granted. That's why I'm the only one with the recipe. She had me stand over a gas stove (the only kind she'd cook on), add the ingredients (a "pinch" of this, a "dab" of that), and stir continuously to keep it from lumping. That's the old-style way she had always used. Well, I learned. Then, one day, being a budding cook (and bachelor), I decided to transfer the method from fire to microwave. I didn't know if I could do it. I ruined 5 or 6 before I came up with an acceptable pie. Then, without telling her, I invited her for dinner and gave her a piece of the pie. She just smiled and said, "You done real good learning this recipe. You'll be the only one in the family with pie from now on." Then I told her.

She was incredulous, to say the least. Being suspicious, she said, "Show me how you made it." I made another, with her present. Then, we tried it. She agreed. It was EXACTLY as her's was and was made in 1/4th the time with little or no effort. She grinned that cunning grin of her's and said she wanted to "test" it on the rest of the family. So, at the next family dinner gathering, I made the pie and SHE walked in with it. Everyone's eyes lit up! After dinner, the usual fight erupted over the last piece. She and I laughed all the way home that night.

Now, I'd like to share that family secret with you. She was a sharing and giving person. One of the nicest and most trusting people you would ever meet. She had no enemies, except her money-hungry family in the end.

The world should continue to enjoy such a great, down-home taste. I also would ask that you keep this and remember the story when you serve the pie to friends and family. It's about the only legacy she had to leave. I won't tell you her name, for fear of her family members getting the recipe. She asked that they NOT be given it. They would only know about it IF they tasted it. You'll understand when you savor it's unique chocolatey taste, a taste only a loving grandmother could bring to you.
=======================================
Maw-Maw's Chocolate Pie
(Microwave version-600W)

Pet-Ritz Pie Crust: Bake @ 400 deg. F. for 8-10 min.
1 1/3 cup Sugar
5 tbs. Flour
12 oz. Carnation Evaporated Milk

In a microwavable 2-qt bowl, mix above ingredients well.
Microwave @ HIGH (10) for 3 minutes. Stir mixture until smooth.
Microwave @ HIGH (10) for 2 minutes.
5 tbs. Hershey's Cocoa ("rounded" or heaping)

Mix into above bowl mixture thoroughly.
2 Egg Yolks BEATEN

Stir a small amount of hot filling mixture quickly into egg yolks. Return egg
mixture to filling and mix well.
Microwave @ MEDIUM HIGH (7) for 2 minutes. Stir after 1 minute until
smooth and thickened.
3 tbs. Butter
1.5 tsp. Vanilla

Add butter and vanilla to bowl mixture. Stir until butter is melted. Pour into
cooled pie crust.
MERINGUE:

2 Egg Whites
4 tbs. Sugar
1 tsp. Vanilla

Whip egg whites until fluffy. Add 1 tbs. sugar and continue to whip, repeat, repeat, repeat. When meringue becomes stiff, add one tsp. Vanilla and blend thoroughly.

Spread meringue over pie, making sure that meringue TOUCHES and adheres to pie crust ALL THE WAY AROUND. Brown meringue in oven @ 350 deg. F.

Allow cooling to room temperature, then chill in fridge for 2 hrs. to set mixture.

NOTE: Same recipe will make a Caramel Nut Pie. Leave out the Cocoa. "Caramelize" 1 cup Sugar in a skillet. (Heat it and it will turn to a clear liquid. Continue to "brown" until it's to you're liking.) Fold into filling mixture and add 1 cup of your favorite chopped nuts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MichelleGrace86