Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sporty's Horsehide A-2s

atomjet58

Familiar Face
I've seen several pictures of Sporty's horsehide A-2s in the past few months and I was wondering if anyone knows
anything about when they were manufactured and how good the leather is.
They look pretty good in the photos I've seen. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

zhz

Practically Family
I've seen several pictures of Sporty's horsehide A-2s in the past few months and I was wondering if anyone knows
They look pretty good in the photos I've seen. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

You mean the repro of Star sportswear contract or this one? http://www.sportys.com/PilotShop/product/9087
The one show in that link is a current issue one, they are manufactured by Cockpit since late 1980/1990? until now. According to what I've heard, the leather isn't great either, not recommend.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up

In your location, I would zip down to the G&B factory in San Diego.

thor

Call Me a Cab
I think all horsehide jackets have increased in price lately. The Cockpit HH A-2 is near $500, as is US Authentic. Gibson & Barnes are a step up in quality and authenticity so they are priced higher. When you consider that the top makers of premium A-2 jackets are charging $1,500-$2,000, a $500-600 price tag is on the lower end of the spectrum.
However, it's good to keep in mind that sometimes the old adage is true: you get what you pay for.
There's always the used A-2 market on the 'Bay or TFL Classifieds.

Last edited:

atomjet58

Familiar Face
The current Sporty's A-2s are not horsehide. The horsehide ones I've seen in pictures were a few years old and are not made now.
I have pre-owned US Authentic and Flight Suits horsehide A2s but I want to get a few other inexpensive ones and see which I like best.
Oddly both are size 42 but the Flight Suits is much more snug then the USA which is the opposite of what I expected.
I just have no clue about Sporty's sizing and while I have tried contacting Ebay sellers about them I haven't gotten any measurements.
I am also curious about the older Avirex horsehide A-2s which I hear were pretty good.

zhz

Practically Family
The current Sporty's A-2s are not horsehide. The horsehide ones I've seen in pictures were a few years old and are not made now.
I have pre-owned US Authentic and Flight Suits horsehide A2s but I want to get a few other inexpensive ones and see which I like best.
Oddly both are size 42 but the Flight Suits is much more snug then the USA which is the opposite of what I expected.
I just have no clue about Sporty's sizing and while I have tried contacting Ebay sellers about them I haven't gotten any measurements.
I am also curious about the older Avirex horsehide A-2s which I hear were pretty good.

If you looking for inexpensive one, I recommend Bill Kelso's house A2. Very good repro.

atomjet58

Familiar Face
I think the current Kelso house A-2 is steerhide not horsehide.
Also they cost around 600.00. The Sportys and Avirex horsehide A-2s I've been looking at are around 200.00
each which would be a lot closer to my budget. The idea is to try out several horsehide A-2s and then keep the ones I like best. So far Flight Suits is winning. It just fits good, is very supple and flexible, feels and smells good and
and is a really nice dark russet brown thats lighter than most seal brown ones I've seen but darker than a US Authentic
russet.
It was made about 12 or 15 years ago and Gibson Barnes doesn't make that color anymore.

atomjet58

Familiar Face
I recently got a size 42 Avirex Right Stuff A-2 in seal brown cowhide. It really looks very close to the Flight Suits horsehide
but is slightly darker and is about the same thickness and flexibility. It fits about like the Flight Suits so now I have two trim fit A-2 jackets and two roomier ones. After getting this one I am much more interested in the cowhide jackets. It can look very nice.

Edward

Bartender
I think the current Kelso house A-2 is steerhide not horsehide.

I believe this is correct - though, as Gary Eastman's research proved a couple of years ago, steerhide was also used in wartime A2 production. To be frank, a medium weight steerhide and a medium weight horse both treated the same way.... I wouldn't like to put money on being able to tell the difference. I wouldn't let yourself be unduly influenced by that factor alone.

Looking at the website, they offer the choice of steer or horse, though you have to order in advance for the horse.

Also they cost around 600.00.

Yeah, that'd be beyond my comfort zone for a non-contract repro. I considered one when they were around the GBP250 mark, but at GBP400 I'd rather something like an Aero Real Deal for a few quid more. I paid about half that for each of my Aero and ELC A2s used on eBay; they've gone up a little on average since, but you could still score them for much less than GBP400 if you've got the patience to wait it out.

Are you absolutely sold on horsehide for itself, or is it because you want something with an "accurate spec"? Goat was also widely used (the impression I have is that goatskin originals have survivied in numbers markedly beyond original horse jackets). Given the budget you specify, it might be worth considering one of the WPG jackets under discussion in this thread: http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?77046-What-Price-Glory-A-2-Jacket . Not handled one myself, but in photos they certainly look good for the sort of money you're talking. If it didn't suit, you'd then be able to deal with a US firm rather than posting back to the EU, which would get expensive quickly.

atomjet58

Familiar Face
Horsehide just seems to look and feel the best to me. I do like the cowhide also because it's very similar to horse with a fine
grain texture and it seems to crease and bend much like horse. I do have a Cooper goatskin A-2 and it has a slightly different
look due to the grainier texture. I got them all for a fraction of original prices and they're all very nice.
Where I work we have about a half million visitors a year and I am amazed that I have never seen any A-2s or G-1s
on any of them. I would think they would be extremely popular but all I see are typical black lambskin mall jackets.

mihai

A-List Customer
I have a sporty A-2 in HH without the hand warmers. It fits trim and bit short in the waist (not as short as MA-1 or N2-B though). If you have a taper chest-waist it will fit nice. A complaint I have for this modern pattern is that the sleeves are quite wide cut, it looks a bit strange. Also the horse-hide is quite heavily died, you do not see the kind of grain like in higher end repros. Also it does no wear as spectacular as them.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff