Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Terminology Qs?

I'm new here, having found this forum as a result of re-discovering my old brown Trilby that Jay Lord made for me back in the mid-80s. Truth is, I first fell in love with hats almost 40 years ago when my mother started to bring home interesting specimens from the local church's rummage sales. At 9, I had my own silk opera hat; at ten, a proper black bowler and a grey Panama! TWTDs!

Anyway, I find that my ability to talk about hats is often limited by lack of vocabulary, so, if I might:

Is there a term for a hat's degree of fore-and-aft "drop" or "flop"? By this I mean how much a snap-brim is snapped down, or, in the case of many cowboy hats, the amount of arc you see when viewed from the side. In contrast, a Homburg has almost no _________.

How about side-to-side? Is there a term for how much a Homburg seems to "smile" at you when viewed from the front?

And lastly: I see lots of specs for crown height, but how is it measured? On a deeply creased hat, do you measure to the top of the peaks or to the bottom of the valley? On an open-crown fedora, the height of the crown depends how you choose to bash it. Or do you measure to the height of the (unbashed) dome? Obviously, I'm at sea. Any and all assistance gratefully received . . .

Sardou, enjoying the Indian
Summer that is November in Brooklyn.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoEllis