Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Paradox of the Well-Dressed Man

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Baron Kurtz said:
A member of my examining committee owns three pairs of identical blue Levis and 5 identical button collar blue striped cotton shirts. he doesn't like to look in a mirror and see something he didn't expect, so he dresses the same all the time.)
I read where Einstein wore the same outfit everyday, one of several duplicates. He said that he didn't want to spend/waste even a moment of his brain power on something as trivial as deciding what to wear each day.[huh]

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
Tomasso said:
I read where Einstein wore the same outfit everyday, one of several duplicates. He said that he didn't want to spend/waste even a moment of his brain power on something as trivial as deciding what to wear each day.[huh]

Somedays picking out what I want to wear is the only thing that goes right during the day...but then again, I ain't Einstein.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
Tomasso said:

i respect anyone who has the self discipline to overcome vanity.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
I dunno if it's any more "vain" to dress differently every day than it is to eat something different for lunch every day. Face it - clothing is one of life's pleasures. (Altho the people who see you may not necessarily feel the pleasure.)

olive bleu

One Too Many
I feel that attitude and self-possession are almost as important as the garment, or at least, should go hand in hand.As striking as it is to see a well dressed gentleman, there is little as painful as watching a man who is completely uncomfortable in what he is wearing.If a man walks into a room feeling like he is wearing a "monkey-suit", he may as well be in his pajamas.

Helen Troy

A-List Customer
poetman said:
jeans with a sport jacket communicates that the wearer purposes to disrespect others.
I'm not trying to step on any toes here, and I do not want to pick on you, poetman, just using your post as a good example to illustrate my point:

Generally speaking, this thread puzzles me a bit. Many of the good folks here complain about disrespectful remarks and peoples stupid assumptions when dressing vintage. Vintage is often "different" than the rest. On the other hand, some of the remarks in this thread are a bit disrespectful towards people dressing differently from "us", and sometimes shows a bit of prejudgments towards the wearers personality, intentions etc.

A little paradoxal, is it not?

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
Helen Troy said:
On the other hand, some of the remarks in this thread are a bit disrespectful towards people dressing differently from "us", and sometimes shows a bit of prejudgments towards the wearers personality, intentions etc.

A little paradoxal, is it not?

Where do you see this, exactly?

Some of us pointed out that people will be judged for wearing vintage, not because it's what we would do (judge), but how the world sometimes works.

I don't dress vintage.

I also agree with the original quote that if one under dresses for an occasion it can be constued as disrespect, such as a job interview.

Helen Troy

A-List Customer
In certain situations, yes, one has to dress to the occasion. (If the quote is not meant as a general observation, I misunderstood it and apologize.) I was offended myself, when a guest shoved up in a friends wedding wearing army pants and a t-shirt!

And I do not mean that the non-vintage persons on this thread are judging the vintage ones, I was not talking about that part of the discussion at all.

I just mean that sometimes we all, myself included, can need to be reminded to not judge a book by it`s cover. And of the paradox of complaining about other peoples styles when also complaining about people making fun of our style.

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
Helen Troy said:
In certain situations, yes, one has to dress to the occasion. (If the quote is not meant as a general observation, I misunderstood it and apologize.) I was offended myself, when a guest shoved up in a friends wedding wearing army pants and a t-shirt!

And I do not mean that the non-vintage persons on this thread are judging the vintage ones, I was not talking about that part of the discussion at all.

I just mean that sometimes we all, myself included, can need to be reminded to not judge a book by it`s cover. And of the paradox of complaining about other peoples styles when also complaining about people making fun of our style.

Ah, ok.

I have to remember not to judge myself by my cover. Tonight I looked in the mirror and thought, "hm, I look better today than yesterday." Then I noticed that one of the mirror bulbs has burned out. :rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran