Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Razor's Edge

LuckyLighter

Familiar Face
Good choice!

Although I've never seen the movie, the book is one of my all time favorites; right up there with "The Sun Also Rises." In some ways, I think "Razor" depicted the disillusionment of WWI vets better than "Sun".

I'll have to check the movie out, now. Thanks for the tip.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Edge

Murray's performance eclipsed the earlier Tyrone Power film; though
the comedian broke his chain once or twice and marred what otherwise
was a solid dramatic effort.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I saw this in the theatre when it was first released in 1984 -- surrounded by a crowd of Bill Murray-fan kids who evidently went in expecting to see something like "Stripes."

I thought the film was quite well done -- but all I could hear in the crowd after the show was "Hey -- I didn't get *any* of those jokes!"

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
That film made a big impression on me when I was a kid. I immediately rented the Tyrone Powers version and read Maughm's book.

It is striking how modern that book is. The theme of the disillusioned man going to find himself with the very modern twist of doing so by pursuing Eastern religion and mysticism. This book does owe a debt to Hemingway, borrowing its background character development from Hemingway's "The Sun Also Rises," but that is entirely forgivable.

There was an excellent performance from Denholm Elliot of Raiders fame.
All in all, one of my favorites.

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Hemingway Jones said:
There was an excellent performance from Denholm Elliot of Raiders fame.

Denholm Elliot was always great and always made whatever he was in a little bit better by his presence alone. He had a very long career beginning (on film) even before his excellent work in The Holly and the Ivy with Ralph Richardson in the very early 50s.

He almost deserves a thread of his own.

And about Bill Murry's Razor's Edge, and I quote, "arf arf."
(That's Bill Murry doing his seal impression, there.)

Tommy Fedora

One of the Regulars
A better remake

I thought Bill Murrays version of the film was far better than the original. Disappointing though, because I expected more from him as a one-time serious actor. Too many times he was just his usual goofy self.

Jack Scorpion

One Too Many
Despite my boyhood crush on Gene Tierney, the original bored the hell out of me. The Bill Murray version neither bored me nor really captured me, but I look back on it fondly.

Jazzman

New in Town
Murray Walks The Difficult Edge

I saw Bill Murray's version first, the novel came next and then I went on the Power's version. Murray really give's it his all, and though Power was great to, it's Murray's work that's the definitive version for me. Theresa Russell is outstanding as Sophie (as is the rest of the cast). The film has balance and atmosphere and I would also say, color, in this case, really adds to the production. Murray navigates the difficult waters of joy and sadness while keeping himself just guarded enough on his journey (as Larry does in the novel). Fedoras off to Director John Byrum for treating the story with care and respect. One of my top 10.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR