Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Style of Jason King

Call this an off-shoot of the Dorcus Collection. But i'm going to say right out, I like the style. I could never make it work for me, but it IS a style, which is what the great unwashed seems to lack today.

Department S aired in '69 -70 in the UK. Peter Wyngarde plays Jason King, one of three agents who investigate unsolvable mysteries. He was given his own show in '70, which, alas, is not on DVD as of yet. Supposedly, they made the character WAY over the top in that series (called 'Jason King') Anyway, here are a few screen caps to comment on. (Forgive the bad caps. I'm still trying to figure out the program)

jk.jpg

jk1.jpg

jk3.jpg

jk2.jpg

jk4.jpg

Regards,

Senator Jack

There was a time (and some designers) in the 70s when the styles were fine. I'm also a fan of this type of style. I love the hacking pockets he has on all his jackets.

Here's one from the early 70s that i wear regularly. It has a lovely hourglass shape, a very classic silhouette, and i altered the legs to get rid of the flare.

Beene1.jpg

bk

If there was one item that I thought should never make a comeback, it's the leisure suit. But I saw a guy on the street the other day, and, dammit, he just managed to make it work. I think the silver rings that he sport on every finger combined with the slicked back silver hair and open collar, and the cheroot he held, just painted a picture of a bygone era. I keep on passing up windowpane suits because when I try them on I think 'used car salesman.' Now I'm reconsidering.

Regards,

Senator Jack

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
Many of the styles of that era can work if the man has the right sort of personality (the kind that says; "Yes, I'm wearing a scarf and if you don't like it you can pick up your teeth":p ).

I'd say from the photos that he pulls it off. As for most men...it could be,to say the least, a very unforgiving style. I don't think I could wear them (although I'm sure that I wouldn't like the material. Polyester...gakk!).

He's got the great "Bronson" style 'stache to boot!

deanswift58

New in Town
A less extreme version...

... and one that still looks very modern is the stuff the Michael Caine wore in "Get Carter"

In fact this was then "refined" by Paul Smith and Thierry Mugler in the early mid 90s and then further streamlined by Tom Ford for his early Gucci suits.

Mark Powell/Ozwald Boateng/Tim Everset/Richard James - the Britpop Bespokes all managed to carry the look into the 90s.

The smart "lad look" of the mid 90s London was the Mark Powell 3 piece in light grey windowpane, SB, high buttoning but full lapelled 3 button in with Acid Green lining, waisted, with slash and ticket pocket, 8 inch side vents, Paul Smith high collar floral shirt or paisley with french cuffs and two button top collars, Clark's wallabees or Patrick Cox chunky loafers and thick silver bracelets, a more diluted version could be seen in "Lock Stock and 2 smoking barrels" (clothes by Mark Powell) and a billion Britpop musos.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff