Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Wildest Dream - Conquest of Everest

Mike K.

One Too Many
01-wildest-dream-climb-mallory-irvine_19160_600x450.jpg

Opening this Friday (Aug 6) - for all you Golden Era Adventurers!

This National Geographic film brings to life the story of climber George Mallory, the man who may—or may not—have been the first to scale the world's most challenging peak. Director Anthony Geffen intercuts newly discovered archival film of Mallory's last climb with the filming of climber Conrad Anker's present-day efforts to replicate the 1924 ascent.

Pictured in the photo above are Conrad Anker and Leo Houlding, as they follow in Mallory's footsteps decked out in replica 1920s-era climbing gear.

Click here for more information:
http://movies.nationalgeographic.com/movies/the-wildest-dream/

Even though we have had some previous discussion of such things as Mallory's Everest clothing, I decided to launch this thread as a place of discussion (after viewing the movie of course) on the replica clothing & gear, historical notes, etc.

nobodyspecial

Practically Family
Unfortunately the movie is shown locally the week I am out of town so I will not likely get to see the movie in a theater.

The climbers only used the 1920's era gear on the lower sections of the mountain, on the higher sections they used modern gear.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner