Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tie Experts....Help Me Date & Get info On "Butterfly" Bow Ties?

I hope its ok for me to ask here, I got this little box with an estate of all women's things & I don't get a whole lot of mens stuff, so I want to be sure of dating & details. Figured there's a better chance here than many with you gentlemen that collect/wear ties (and ladies who know the mens stuff too).

This box has 2 bow ties in it, and some whatnots. No idea whats original to the box, I suspect its the front one.
100_3113.jpg

Both have a design woven into the fabric, the moire one creates the illusion of dots and has metal pieces on back of tie that I assume fold over collar as a stay of sorts. Both have metal slide adjusters. Box....

100_3116.jpg

Close up of ties....

100_3115.jpg

The pictures arent great, I need natural light to get good close ups & its raining. But you get the idea, if I need to provide any other details I can. Then, inside the box there are these things.....similar to cufflinks, but not quite. I have a dress from the 40s with rhinestone buttons with the same backs. There are 3 of each, so I'm not sure if both sets are missing one & he had 2 pairs of each or if they're supposed to be 3 & used for something else? And the other set, like buttons again but linked together, they could go through french cuffs....just cufflinks then, right? And the cotton piece w/ buttons...?

100_3117.jpg

Sorry I'm so daft, I rarely bother with ties as the market isnt great anymore....if I do, its regular ties as I know so very little about bow ties! I hope its ok to ask here. Thanks so much! Ang

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
This kind of patterned weave is called jacquard. The front tie also shows a moiré effect (aka "watered silk" - it changes appearance with light).

From the box art and the jacquard designs, I'd say they come from the early-mid 1920s. The butterfly tie wasn't popular before the '20s.

The post-mounted items are shirt studs. They go in the buttonholes of the tux shirt front like so:
tuxedo_shirt.jpg

The strip with buttons is there for times when you might not want to use the studs (say with a double breasted tux where some might be hidden - or if a stud gets lost from the set).

Brilliant! That explains why there are only 3 each of the studs, I imagine this went with a tux he had & he used the stip below the cummerbund. I'm not yet done working w/ the people at this estate....I normally steer clear of mens things because I know so little. If there is a tux from the 20s, in good shape, are people interested in them? Thank you SO much for the information! Ang

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
The date? That's easy. The late 1920s.

Relatively wide butterfly bowties were very popular from about 1927 to 1930 or so. (Some were quite a bit wider than yours!) You can see them in late silent and early sound films, such as The Broadway Melody.

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
CharlieH. said:
(And I 'spose I won't feel guilty about wearing a pre-tied necktie again...)

No, you should feel guilty. Even better, you should learn to tie a real bowtie so you don't have to feel guilty! ;)

I'm all for vintage style, but just 'cause it's old don't make it right. There are some things (pre-tied bowties, notch-lapel tuxes, matching tie-and-pocket-square sets) that were around in bygone days but shouldn't be worn today.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats