Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Time Machine!

Wild Root

Gone Home
Yeah, it's not any different... I did run a compression test and found I do have about 30 in #1... the others checked out at 100-120, I have perfect oil pressure and it's running well so I'll see what I can do in the week to come.

=WR=

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Nice thing about the Plymouth flahead, if Allpar.com is to be believed, any engine from 1935 to 1959 will bolt right in.

Then again, I'll bet you want to keep 'er as original as possible, and if so, I agree. :)

Wild Root

Gone Home
Now we are off topic but, before we get back on, I'll let ya in on a little secret... I just found a number on my block... it says P-23 1953... so, that means my motor isn't the original P-15 motor. I know a valve job will be less then putting in a new motor!

Now, back on topic.

=WR=

Twitch

Not to worry Wild Root since that was before the "matching numbers" business. Not sure exactly what year but probably early 60s.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Well, if the block has a date of 1953, it's from a 1953 Plymouth. It's ok with me, it looks the same as the original, it might even have some more horses then the original '46 flat head which has 95 horses. I might have 100 soon as I get the valve fixed.

=WR=

Tony in Tarzana

I wonder if there's any point to shaving the heads on those old flatheads for a bit more compression. Not so much that it wouldn't run on 87 octane, but some. After all, when they were first designed, 87 octane was unheard of.

Back on topic, I've heard of little low-power FM transmitters, but I hadn't heard of AM versions until I read this thread. Wouldn't that be great for a cruise night? Broadcast some period music just for the drive-in parking lot and have everybody tune in their tube radios. :)

KAT

A-List Customer
Wild Root said:
Well, if the block has a date of 1953, it's from a 1953 Plymouth. It's ok with me, it looks the same as the original, it might even have some more horses then the original '46 flat head which has 95 horses. I might have 100 soon as I get the valve fixed.

=WR=

ITS NOT THE ORIGINAL? :eek: THATS A DISASTER! A 50s MOTOR?:eek: :eek: Poor Jenny and her heart transplantation story! ..and we never knew about it:( :cry:

;) lol

Michaelson

One Too Many
Out here, low mileage flat head 6's are a dime a dozen, as folks jerked them out almost as fast as they got the cars for bigger 8's, so if you had a good mechanic, it probably WOULD be easier and about as inexpensive to just bolt in another engine, and replace the old stuff with the newer parts off your old engine.

Ah well.....differences in locations, though.

Regards! Michaelson

Wild Root

Gone Home
Yeah, if I knew where I could grab one for dirt cheap in good solid working order, I'd do just that.

After I bought one off of ebay, had it shipped and then had it dropped in, I'd have spent more then getting the valves done.:rolleyes:

There is no easy way out!

=WR=

Michaelson

One Too Many
I got to admit, you sure suffer for your art more than I do over here. :( ;)

I'm sure the valve job will be a painless operation for 'old paint'.

I'm trying to get a front brake drum to free up when backing up. Screwed up something in a 'fix' last week. No problem going forward, so as long as I don't back up and turn the wheel in either direction, I'm fine. :rolleyes: lol

Regards! Michaelson

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace