Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tips for removing make-up from veg tanned horse?

Big J

Call Me a Cab
Hello all,

My wife has managed to rub her foundation caked face against me while I was wearing one of my Aero A-2's. Now the poor thing is smeared with a kind of white greasy residue that won't wipe off with a damp cloth (and the A-2 too!). How to get it off without damaging the leather?

Some of you guys must have plenty of experience of ladies throwing themselves at you whilst you've been wearing your A-2, what's your advice (besides divorce). Maybe some of the ladies out there have a suggestion?

Big J

Call Me a Cab
Yes sir, that is the story I'm going with.

Seriously, there's not one other A-2 wearing ladies man on this forum who's had a similar problem? For real? Fight jackets are chick magnets!

Plumbline

One Too Many
I had a similar issue some years ago ( not from my wife I might add but rather from loaning my jacket to a friend ... that's my story and I'm sticking to it ) .... johnsons baby wipes did the trick and left no residue :D

Big J

Call Me a Cab
I had a similar issue some years ago ( not from my wife I might add but rather from loaning my jacket to a friend ... that's my story and I'm sticking to it ) .... johnsons baby wipes did the trick and left no residue :D

That is also an excellent suggestion!
Really, your wife believed that you actually loaned out your jacket?

Interbak

One of the Regulars
What does she use to take it off of her face? I'd assume that if it's gentle enough to use on her skin, it shouldn't hurt your jacket. Try it on an inconspicuous spot like the underside of a pocket flap before you do it on the actual offending area.

B

thor

Call Me a Cab
I consulted "Mrs. Thor" and she suggested trying make-up removal pads and to make sure they are the alcohol- and oil-free type (also advise testing in an inconspicuous area of the jacket). Good luck!

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
I have used white spirit or turpentine to remove all sorts of horrid things from my jackets, it will leave a bit of an odour for a while but I have had no real ill effects and any smells do go fairy quickly, no loss of colour or drying out. I'm not talking soaking the thing, just a dab with a make up removal pad. Then again, my A2s were never my going out jackets.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Baby wipes, as PL suggested, but I also agree with the Rocketeer: a solution of turps and hot water dabbed gently on and wiped off with a clean cloth.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
Thank you very much, I shall be experimenting with these methods, and will post feedback on results!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR