Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tom and Jerry (No Not the Cartoon!)

Some members have asked me privately about a drink I have mentioned previously called a Tom and Jerry. This was popular in the 40s and before to serve on cold winter nights and in the holiday season we are soon entering. Some may remember grandma serving up mugs of it on the holidays. Great stuff.
It takes a bit of preparation although there are short cuts that can be taken. I do not like short cuts because it never tastes the same so I will give the full recipe here with a short cut suggestion along the way.
The ingredients you will need are: 1/3 cup milk, 1 tablespoon butter, 1 egg, 1 teaspoon sugar, a dash of vanilla extract (three drops), 1 ½ ounce dark rum, ¾ ounce brandy and a sprinkle of nutmeg.
To prepare:
Heat the milk and butter together in a saucepan until hot. Beat the egg white and egg yolk separately until frothy. Add the egg whites to the yolks and beat in sugar and vanilla. Put this in a mug heated in either the microwave or oven (300 degrees for 3 to 5 minutes). Add the milk, rum and stir. Top with the brandy and a sprinkle of nutmeg if you like that sort of thing. You can substitute eggnog for the egg, butter, vanilla, milk and sugar but it doesn’t taste the same. You can control the ingredients better if you do it yourself. Try it both ways and see what tastes better.

Regards to all,

J

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Okay, I've got a couple of questions...

What is the difference between this and traditional (alcoholic) egg nog?

Was the drink named after the cartoon, or vice versa?

I noticed our liquor store has bottled egg nog with rum and brandy (or was it whiskey?), but probably not the same. Still, I'm a bit squeamish about the raw eggs thing.

Hmmm, anybody tried this drink besides J?

Brad

Originally posted by Brad Bowers
Okay, I've got a couple of questions...

What is the difference between this and traditional (alcoholic) egg nog?

The difference is the traditional egg nog usually just had brandy or rum in it---not both and not much at that. ;) They also usually skimp on the vanilla and use the cheapest liquor possible. It makes the difference in taste.

Was the drink named after the cartoon, or vice versa?

The cartoon was named after the drink because Tom and Jerry ---the drink---came first. You get some holiday guests doing some funny things after drinking enough Tom and Jerry though. :D

I noticed our liquor store has bottled egg nog with rum and brandy (or was it whiskey?), but probably not the same. Still, I'm a bit squeamish about the raw eggs thing.

As I mentioned before, the prebottled stuff usually has cheap liquor in it and fake vanilla added to be cost conscious. If you drink egg nog from the store you are drinking eggs anyway but probably powdered stuff. The difference is that you know the eggs you use are fresh and you do not have to worry about the preservatives they use in the commercial stuff so that it will last for years. :eek: The eggs that you use will also be warmed and added to liquor. That should be enough to kill any of the germs or such things that people are afraid of getting from raw eggs. I give raw eggs to the dog to keep her coat full for the winter. She never argues. LOL
In the Tom and Jerry, I have never really thought about how the eggs taste. ;) Come on try it---its good for your coat. LOL

Regards to all,

J

Retro Grouch

One of the Regulars
I don't think I've ever had "real" egg nog before. The Tom & Jerry sounds interesting. :beer:

Some people like Southern Comfort in their nog. I'll stick to rum or brandy. Captain Morgan spiced rum goes well with egg nog.

Tom

LetterJ

New in Town
Still, I'm a bit squeamish about the raw eggs thing.

FYI, most grocery stores now offer pasteurized eggs which at least eliminates the contamination risk. If your squeamishness is about the texture, etc. this doesn't address it.

They're pretty much the same as normal eggs. The ones in my store are a little harder to seperate (the yolk and white are "blended" together more). The yolk isn't nice and whole.

Also, America's Test Kitchen did blind taste tests with vanilla and discovered (much to their surprise) that no one could really tell the difference between the high quality stuff and the imitation and when they did express a preference, it was toward the fake stuff. Surprised me.

Geez, if they cannot tell the difference between the fake vanilla and the real stuff then they might as well just drink ripple as a holiday drink. America's Kitchen must have rounded up a group of hobos for that taste test. LOL
Raw eggs won't hurt anyone. Just try it. If you don't die then they are fine. LOL
Actually eggs are packaged by nature and they should be fine unless you leave them out, unrefrigerated and out of the shell. They go from the shell to the drink in under a few minutes if you make the drink right. ;) If you drink it fast enough---less than that. :cool2:

Regards to all,

J

Retro Grouch

One of the Regulars
Originally posted by jamespowers
Geez, if they cannot tell the difference between the fake vanilla and the real stuff then they might as well just drink ripple as a holiday drink.

At Xmas one must add champagne (cold duck will do) to the ripple. This is called champipple. LOL

Ripple; That's not what it tastes like, it's what it does to your skin. :p

Tom

Originally posted by Retro Grouch
At Xmas one must add champagne (cold duck will do) to the ripple. This is called champipple. LOL

Ripple; That's not what it tastes like, it's what it does to your skin. :p

Tom

Champipple?! That sounds like something from the Sanford and Son TV show. LOL
Ripple is probably the worst drink known to man aside from Thunderbird. "What's the word?" LOL

Regards to all,

J

Retro Grouch

One of the Regulars
I just got back from a trip to TN. One of the antique shops I was in had a Tom & Jerry punch bowl set. Guess who I thought of? :p

The set consisted of a ceramic punch bowl and about 8-10 ceramic cups. All were a cream color, about the same as eggnog, and had Tom & Jerry gold script. The maker was Hamilton Laughtlim(sp?). The shop was asking $110 for the set.

Just thought I would share. :cheers1:

Tom

Retro Grouch said:
I just got back from a trip to TN. One of the antique shops I was in had a Tom & Jerry punch bowl set. Guess who I thought of? :p

The set consisted of a ceramic punch bowl and about 8-10 ceramic cups. All were a cream color, about the same as eggnog, and had Tom & Jerry gold script. The maker was Hamilton Laughtlim(sp?). The shop was asking $110 for the set.

Gee, that sounds like a real cool set. I have never seen them with a punch bowl. That would be great for holiday dinners. I have the gold script mugs but not the punch bowl. I wonder how they would keep the Tom and Jerry warm that way though. ;)

Regards to all,

J

P.S. Thanks for thinking of me. I had that strange "someone is thinking of me" feeling. :rolleyes:

Retro Grouch

One of the Regulars
jamespowers said:
I wonder how they would keep the Tom and Jerry warm that way though. ;)

P.S. Thanks for thinking of me. I had that strange "someone is thinking of me" feeling. :rolleyes:

I doubt the punch bowl would keep it's contents warm for very long. The bowl wasn't very large. Maybe 5" deep and 10" across. Just another reason to drink it quickly. :beer:

I get those feelings too. That's what the little voices tell me, anyway. :p

Tom

P.S. I just noticed that MK took the rolling smiley away. Hey, I want the rolling smiley back! :eek: :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy