Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Top ten films of 2005

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
Let's do two lists of five: (1) five films that best capture the feel of "days gone by" and (2) best films regardless of era/genre. Eligible films are those released in 2005.

Days Gone By
1. Cinderella Man
2. Memoirs of a Geisha
3. Pride and Prejudice
4. Walk the Line
5. King Kong

All 2005 Films
1. Brokeback Mountain
2. Cinderella Man
3. Good Night, and Good Luck
4. Capote
5. The Constant Gardener

Harry Lime

Suspended
I saw the photo of you in the black cowboy hat and droopy 'stache...

Very "Village People." Me thinks thou protests too much...

Harry Lime

Solid Citizen

Practically Family
Solid's Solid Movies of 2005

1. The Downfall (***The Best***)
2. Narnia (Really Good)
3. Memoirs of a Geisha (Nice Film)
4. Walk the Line (Terrific)
5. The Great Raid (Good WW II)
6. History of Violence (Solid)

Solid's Biggest Letdown of 2005 KING KONG!!!

Solid's Thespian of the Year (sic) 2005 JACK BLACK!!!

Peter Happy New Year 2006 :cheers1:

Harry Lime

Suspended
2005 movies.

I don't thing I can break them down as to period/not period. These are just films I thought had merit - in no particular order.

1) Brokeback Mountain
2) Good Night and Good Luck
3) Downfall
4) Capote
5) Walk the Line
6) Syriana
7) The Constant Gardener
8) Crash
9) Wedding Crashers (very funny)
10) The 40 Year Old Virgin (likewise very funny)

There are others I thought were good if not particularly meritorious (Cinderella Man, A History of Violence), some dogs as usual, and a few new ones that hold great promise (Munich, Mrs Henderson Presents, Woody Allen's new one, etc.) An interesting year in film on the whole.

Harry Lime

havershaw

Practically Family
Hey, I'm not going to see Brokeback Mountain, either...but that's 'cause I don't like cowboy movies.

shamus

Suspended
As to films this year I haven't seen too many of the "list". These are some I have seen and liked... And in no particular order.

The 40 year old virgin.. (the hetrosexual non-cowboy movie)
Wallace and Gromit: The Curse of the Warerabbit
Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith
Mr. Mrs. Smith ... it was so bad it was good
Batman Begins
Sin City

The rest I'm waiting on screeners so I don't have to buy tickets...

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
I didn't start this thread...

For this kind of discussion. I started it to see some what FL people thought were the best films overall and those that captured the feel of bygone eras. I'm going to ask the bartender and/or MK to either kill the thread or move a bunch of these posts to a different place.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
My list is very short, since I only saw two of 2005's films. I saw Star Wars Episode III:Revenge of the Sith in the theater, and borrowed March of the Penquins on DVD from my mother. Most of the movies that are released I have absolutely no interest in seeing, but I would have liked to have seen Good Night, and Good Luck and King Kong in the theaters. Just never have the spare money to go.

Brad

ITG

Call Me a Cab
Guys, let's cool it. I think making personal attacks on someone based on their top five movies is out of place. Sure I'm not going to see the cowboy movie for the same reasons but I'm leaving it at that. Not seeing that movie is a choice and we need to respect each other's opinions. But for personal attacks to ensue by either side as a result and to continue as it has is not appropriate. If I had the power to weed these posts, I would, but my jedi skills are lacking in this forum.

My top few movies:
1. Batman Begins
2. Revenge of the Sith
3. Cinderella Man
4. Hitch
5. I'm leaving open because I haven't seen a new movie in several months and am guessing I might give Zorro or Narnia #5 after I see them.

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
Forgot how many movies I saw this year...

ITG said:
1. Batman Begins
2. Revenge of the Sith
3. Cinderella Man
4. Hitch
You're right, ITG (and others) I sure did dig: Hitch, 40-Year-Old Virgin, Upside of Anger, Wedding Crashers, and Family Stone. 2005 was actually a pretty good year for romantic comedies.

And, of course, Batman Begins was THE best of the Batman/Superman/Super Hero flicks.

BTW, I read (and really loved) "The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay" by Michael Chabon. He is the guy who made Spiderman II so great. He's written a screenplay to K&C but I understand it took him a dozen tries. It should be a fabulous movie.

Naama

Practically Family
I never thought that this thread would turn in a discussion like that...... Oh my.....
Well, anyway, I didn't saw many new movies this year, but the two (I think it only where two, at least I can't remember any further) where just great, great, great! "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" which was great and "Corpse Bride" which was even better!

At the moment, most of the mentioned Movies are not even released over here in Europe :/ But I think I'll see capote when it comes over here.....

Naama

ITG

Call Me a Cab
Zemke Fan said:
2005 was actually a pretty good year for romantic comedies.
Must Love Dogs is coming in at a 6th place for me. I'm getting ready to go see Narnia in about an hour.

Biltmore Bob said:
New puppy, ITG? Sure is a cutie.
She's my Christmas present to my mom. New Puppy, yes. Mine, no. She's the half sister to Bogie though.

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Attention all !

Happy New Year. I go work a 13 hour shift today, and the train wreck happens.

MK, thank you for editing some posts today. I have read them all.

Ladies and Gentlemen, while you are participating in the "Movies" section, you will confine yourself to the discussion of film, TV, radio even...your DVD...

This thread is appaling. Each of you, with valid points and legitimate disagreements...DO NOT BRING THAT ABSOLUTE "OFF TOPIC" shenanagins to this section again. There are other places to do that. You can PM eachother. You can "send member an email" if you want to throw a few punches. This is a MOVIE subject matter related section.

Think "Ebert and Roper".

I'll snap you with the bar towel if it happens again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
islamicjankari