Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

US Army Airborne Officers Dress Uniform

WW2WaltUSMC

New in Town
Good morning everyone! I mainly do USMC WWII Living History, but I would like to put together an Army Officers dress uniform for hangar dances and the like to honor my grandfather. He served during the war as a replacement with the 101st, made the jump into Holland, and in 1945, post VE Day, went to OCS. I was thinking a set of officers dark OD elastiques with jump boots, khaki shirt, khaki tie, and overseas cap. Top it off with jump wings, ETO ribbons, and butter bars. What does everyone think, and I would love to hear any other ideas. Im not looking to spend too much cabbage on this, as it is just a set of nice duds to wear out to dances, but on the other hand I am paying homage to his service so I want to look squared away.

MPicciotto

Practically Family
Normally... I'd say airborne is OVERDONE! But this is a classy exception. I'll let others weigh in on the uniform details. But I want to be the first to say that honoring your grandfather by wearing a uniform similar to his to events I think is awesome. Both my grandfathers served in the air corps on the ground. So that's what I do for reenacting. Just be prepared for the "another airborne reenactor" attitude. But you sir have the best defense against that kind of talk.

Matt

Silver Dollar

Practically Family
U.S. Airborne is NEVER OVERDONE. For what those troops did, do now and will do, Airborne should be done at any opportunity. Please don't think I'm looking down at the military of any nation out there in any way. They all have done what they needed to do for the defense of their country but since I'm American and retired USAF, that's where my sentiments go.

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
Well...

Since the Air Forces were part of the Army, you can look around at a lot of THOSE threads and get some ideas. Best looking combination IMHO is the pink (taupe) trousers with the green tunic. Shirt/tie is any combination of the khaki shades that float your boat. Jump boots work if you don't want to dance. Otherwise, check out the officer's low quarter boots threads that's been kicking around here since about 2005. -- Cheers!

Silver Dollar

Practically Family
Zemke Fan said:
Since the Air Forces were part of the Army, you can look around at a lot of THOSE threads and get some ideas. Best looking combination IMHO is the pink (taupe) trousers with the green tunic. Shirt/tie is any combination of the khaki shades that float your boat. Jump boots work if you don't want to dance. Otherwise, check out the officer's low quarter boots threads that's been kicking around here since about 2005. -- Cheers!

I agree with you right there. I have a full set of pinks and greens I used to wear at 8th AF Historical Society meetings. The vets there loved that uniform. It cames with the dark brown shirt and the khaki tie. All of the rank insignia and wings are the bullion type. The wings are on the blue background indicating the wearer was in a combat zone. I even had the Sam Brown belt, the crusher and the overseas fore and aft hat. I'm just sorry, I can't fit into them anymore.

alden405

A-List Customer
how about mixing it up with a paramarine service dress combo

kinda an USMC in the OSS in the ETO vibe

google Ortiz,USMC,OSS

WW2WaltUSMC

New in Town
I thought about that, and if you look at my avatar, I am wearing Winter Service greens with Parachutists wings. I do Seagoing Marine as my primary impression with the USMCHC, and my persona is a former Paramarine with 1st Parachute Battalion at Guadalcanal and Bougainville then transferred to sea duty after being injured during a hike (Rt Knee, like my actual knee injury from MCT) after Bougainville. I designed this impression with a great influence towards the Paramarines because of my grandfather. While he was Army, I wanted some way to wear his wings on my USMC greens, and did the research necessary to be able to justify wearing jump wings.

alden405

A-List Customer
awesome!!

stick with Paramarine then

you will look like a million bux while everyone looks like a BOB beauty school drop out

thecardigankid

One of the Regulars
WW2WaltUSMC said:
I thought about that, and if you look at my avatar, I am wearing Winter Service greens with Parachutists wings. I do Seagoing Marine as my primary impression with the USMCHC, and my persona is a former Paramarine with 1st Parachute Battalion at Guadalcanal and Bougainville then transferred to sea duty after being injured during a hike (Rt Knee, like my actual knee injury from MCT) after Bougainville. I designed this impression with a great influence towards the Paramarines because of my grandfather. While he was Army, I wanted some way to wear his wings on my USMC greens, and did the research necessary to be able to justify wearing jump wings.

Hey I tried to send you a pm but you apparently dont have that option. Are you going to be with the USMCHC at the USS North Carolina in May, if so hit me up I will be there too with them.

Mike

MPicciotto

Practically Family
alden405 said:
awesome!!

stick with Paramarine then

you will look like a million bux while everyone looks like a BOB beauty school drop out

And that was part of my point. Some people call it "BandWAGON of Brothers" But don't let extremely overweight, ponytailed guys doing terrible impressions stop you from honoring your grandfather. Do him and and others like him a good service and show up those wannabes.

Matt

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
WW2WaltUSMC said:
Good morning everyone! I mainly do USMC WWII Living History, but I would like to put together an Army Officers dress uniform for hangar dances and the like to honor my grandfather. He served during the war as a replacement with the 101st, made the jump into Holland, and in 1945, post VE Day, went to OCS. I was thinking a set of officers dark OD elastiques with jump boots, khaki shirt, khaki tie, and overseas cap. Top it off with jump wings, ETO ribbons, and butter bars. What does everyone think, and I would love to hear any other ideas. Im not looking to spend too much cabbage on this, as it is just a set of nice duds to wear out to dances, but on the other hand I am paying homage to his service so I want to look squared away.

The Dark O.D. color is quite appealing. Tricky to find originals where the pants & tunic match up in shade....and in a wearable size. The early war Bi-swing tunic with the hooks for a leather Sam Browne belt is a lovely uniform for dressing up, as well as dancing. Im hoping to find one that's been tailored into an ike jacket.
I avoid the military insignias as I never served. Usually I'll set up my jkts as a Combat Photographer, since thats closer to my interests.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
MrBern said:
The early war Bi-swing tunic with the hooks for a leather Sam Browne belt is a lovely uniform for dressing up, as well as dancing.

My father's jacket is like that, with the hooks, although he was issued it in 1945, and I don't think he was given the belt. I need to see if there is enough material in the back to open it up so that it can fit me...

alden405

A-List Customer
MPicciotto said:
And that was part of my point. Some people call it "BandWAGON of Brothers" But don't let extremely overweight, ponytailed guys doing terrible impressions stop you from honoring your grandfather. Do him and and others like him a good service and show up those wannabes.

Matt

tee hee

thecardigankid

One of the Regulars
WW2WaltUSMC said:
Mike, I will be there. I should be getting in at around 1300 on thursday, I have a class that morning. Look forward to meeting you! You can email me at madevildog_hfd@hotmail.com

I'm hoping to be there between 1300 and 1700 depending on how early I can get on the road. (its a freakin 5 hour drive from Parris Island to Wilmington)

Mike

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonio925