Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

US Army Uniform Regs

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
I'm trying to track down the regs for US Army uniforms from the 20s and 30s. I'm looking for at least one that from the period between WWI and the shift to the rolled collar service coat (~1928), and one from after the intro of the rolled collar to the introduction of the WWII service coats (the chocolate and pink shades).

Does anyone know of some good sources for reprints of full text versions of the actual regs? Actually, I could use a reference for any uniform regulation between 1919 and 1940.

Thanks!

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
MaGuire's More Silver Wings, Pinks & Greens

... contains a lot of uniform examples from those dates. But, as for the specific regulations, I wouldn't have a clue where to turn. Perhaps you could send an inquiry to the Army historian. (Sorry, but I can't be much help even with contact info.)

Baggers

Practically Family
For commissioned ranks, probably your best bet would be to find a copy of The Officer's Guide from each of the periods you're interested in. I have a copy of the 8th edition (May, 1942) that I got from eBay and it's a wealth of information, not only on uniforms, but a almost everything the young officer would need to know.

For enlisted and NCO, I'm afraid I can't help you.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Excellent ideas, thanks! I just got word that my interlibrary loan of Silver Wings, Pinks, and Greens just came in, so I'll be picking it up tomorrow!

I'll also be trolling for a copy or two of the Officer's Guide, too. Was that printed every year, or were there certain years?

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
The Officer's Guide

Appears to have been printed only when necessary, not every year. I had a 1942 edition which I sold as it did not contain the unit insignia information that my 1944 edition contains. As the war progressed the book had to change also. My (summer) 1944 edition is the 10th, and the title page states that The Military Service Publishing Co. produced,..."Authoritative books for the army since 1921."
So therefore, I think we may safely assume that between 1921 and May 1942, there were 7 other editions published?

Story

I'll Lock Up
# AR 600-40 Personnel. Wearing of the Uniform (25 November 1924); 32 pages Price 3.00 {Item No.2346}

Check out the rest of this page -
http://www.military-info.com/MPHOTO/p022.htm

2UMM-16. FM 21-15 Individual Equipment, Clothing And Tent Pitching Dated 1940. Approximately 4-1/2-inch wide x 7-1/2-inch format, paper covers, 58 pages of photos, illustrations, charts and text, relative to care, use and maintenance of the soldiers clothing and individual equipment. This early manual exhibits many pieces of early individual equipment and clothing; how to use and wear the M1910 pack; how to fold clothing and display it for inspection; pitching & striking tents; packing a saddle, as well as, rank insignia; care of leather equipment; hat cords, latrine screen, plus much more. The covers exhibit light to moderate age and soil from handling and storage, (one heavy smudge spot of soil, as seen in the image, on the front cover); there is a vertical crease in the center of the back cover, (the cover was folded for some reason, nothing serious), the interior pages are excellent. This is a must have book; the photos, illustrations and equipment information are all extremely useful. Vg. $19.00 PHOTO

See also here
http://militaryspecialtiesinc.com/web/Books/ww2manuals/Pg2_WW2USManuals.htm

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Story, I definately owe you a cold one! I just ordered the 1940 FM 21-15 from Military Specialties, and have the order form filled out for the 1924 AR 600-40, plus the TM 12-280 (Decorations and Awards, 1945) from Military/Info.

Thanks for the great tip! Military/Info is a gold mine!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80