Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Blackberry Liqueur Recipe

FedoraGent

One Too Many
Folks,

Recently, Magneto and I have been repeatedly creating vodka and bourbon infusions. Last night at Church of Sinatra, these infusions went very very well. At a local farmers market, blackberry has become a SoCal mainstay. Blackberries are very very easy to get which has lead me in the search of vintage recipe for making Blackberry Liqueur. Has anyone ran across one?

Regards,

FG.

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
FedoraGent said:
Folks,

Recently, Magneto and I have been repeatedly creating vodka and bourbon infusions. Last night at Church of Sinatra, these infusions went very very well. At a local farmers market, blackberry has become a SoCal mainstay. Blackberries are very very easy to get which has lead me in the search of vintage recipe for making Blackberry Liqueur. Has anyone ran across one?

Regards,

FG.

Firstly, congratulations for your success. :)

I am a very big fan of blackberry liqueurs aka Creme de Mure, this is largely due to by partiality to a Bramble.

Here's a simple recipe:

2 cups Blackberries (crushed, no need to crush the seeds though).
3 cups Brandy.
1 and 1/2 cups of simple sugar syrup.

Once mixed, age for about a week in a covered, but not tightly sealed, jar/container. Then strain and bottle the contents. Leave it for two weeks and enjoy. :)

If you didn't want to use brandy you could probably use vodka; I've had made the substitution before but I prefer the warmth of brandy.

Your bourbon infusions sound interesting, what have you tried? The only thing I've tried which is even remotely close is Red Stag by Jim Beam.

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
There is distillation, but short of actually going that route, following the usual steeping/infusion steps that other recipes use, would be your best bet.

You could get one of the modern translations of Duplais which could be helpful if one was inclined to do more complicated work.

rumblefish

One Too Many
I was once served Echte Kroatzbeere with a sage leaf in it. The sage leaf was unmuddled and besides looking pretty it added a little something nice to the flavor. I'd bet a leaf or two in the infusion would be interesting.

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
I quite like the sound of that, I like the fact that you don't need to muddle it to get some flavour, a little like using Borage in Pimms.
Certainly would give another dimension to the liqueur. Until recently I didn't realise how much difference the amount of sugar you use makes.
Even between a medium sugar and a less sugar - two different creatures there.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Lancealot said:
How about a ginger infused liquor? I have a idea in my head for it but haven't tried it yet. Anyone ever come across a recipe for such?
I've had ginger infused vodka (in the States) and rum (in the Caribbean); both were quite tasty.:)

Lancealot

Practically Family
Ethan Bentley said:
I know there's an orange Seagram's Gin but I'm not sure if you would call it infused in the sense you're speaking of.

Ginger Rum sounds great (dark or golden)?

Going with a dark for the rum. Something inspired by a Dark and Stormy.

I have had the Seagram's Orange twisted Gin but I am thinking a blood orange infused Gin. I make a blood orange martini, with Gin that some of my group very much enjoys. Hence where the idea came from.

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
Lancealot said:
Going with a dark for the rum. Something inspired by a Dark and Stormy.

I have had the Seagram's Orange twisted Gin but I am thinking a blood orange infused Gin. I make a blood orange martini, with Gin that some of my group very much enjoys. Hence where the idea came from.

Just purchased some ginger root. Just made up a small batch.

Methuselah

One of the Regulars
GINger

It's a terrible pun, but tastes wonderful:

Buy a bag of crystallised ginger pieces. I got mine from Julian Graves.
Mostly fill a bottle with them.
Fill with gin.
Wait a couple of weeks.

-I've had some steeping for over a month, just had a sip and it's knock-your socks-off stuff. I'm saving it for Christmas dinner, and intend to cover the ginger bits in chocolate (although I haven't tasted them yet, I think they should be good)

EDIT: Ethan, are you using fresh ginger?

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
Methuselah said:
It's a terrible pun, but tastes wonderful:

Buy a bag of crystallised ginger pieces. I got mine from Julian Graves.
Mostly fill a bottle with them.
Fill with gin.
Wait a couple of weeks.

-I've had some steeping for over a month, just had a sip and it's knock-your socks-off stuff. I'm saving it for Christmas dinner, and intend to cover the ginger bits in chocolate (although I haven't tasted them yet, I think they should be good)

EDIT: Ethan, are you using fresh ginger?

A cheesy pun but I like it! :)
It seems like an interesting idea, I'm just trying to think of a Gin that would compliment the flavours. I wouldn't be surprised is some gin uses ginger as a botanical.

I am using some fresh ginger root, and I'll need a good filter when it's done. I've only done small batches (100ml) ish so there is room for error.

Methuselah

One of the Regulars
Ethan Bentley said:
I'm just trying to think of a Gin that would compliment the flavours.

From my test batch, I'd say it doesn't matter! It tastes of hot fiery ginger root with an alcoholic kick. This is considered a good thing in our household :)

As a further test, I tried adding a handful of lumps to about 100ml of brandy at the weekend. Only left it for 48 hours and the ginger heat was noticeable.

Based on this, I think there's still time to make up a batch as Christmas presents.

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
Methuselah said:
From my test batch, I'd say it doesn't matter! It tastes of hot fiery ginger root with an alcoholic kick. This is considered a good thing in our household :)

As a further test, I tried adding a handful of lumps to about 100ml of brandy at the weekend. Only left it for 48 hours and the ginger heat was noticeable.

Based on this, I think there's still time to make up a batch as Christmas presents.

I should coco! Home-made gifts are rather a neat idea and much more personal, you usually a save a bob or two too.
I'm going to try the Rum at the weekend.

Lancealot

Practically Family
The gin turned out great! The dark rum not so much but they may have something to do with the rum choice, will try again later.
Now have some blood orange soaking in some gin will give it a week or so and try it again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner