Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage decor for the kiddies?

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
With our baby boy due to arrive in March I am now starting to work on the nursery.
I picked what I thought was a beautiful faded yellow called "Moonlight",but it went on much...ahem cheerier than we anticipated,but at least it's not fluorescent.:eek: We'll keep it for now.
We are incorporating an Art Deco armoire and desk-like vanity into his room.
The dark richness of the wood lends a handsome masculine feel.
The mirrors on the vanity can be removed so it just looks like a desk,but are these pieces more for a woman?
What do the gentlemen think?Did men use armoires?
I found a crib that should blend well in a classic shape and can later be converted to a twin headboard and footboard.

If you have kiddos,have you incorporated a vintage feel into their room?or will you when you do have kids?

CharlieH.

One Too Many
When I read the thread title I immediately thought of this:

childroom2.jpg

Just a suggestion.

RetroMom

One of the Regulars
I didn't decorate vintage style when my children were babies and toddlers. Just blue for the boy's and pink for my daughter. Although I did have some very cute vintage wall nursery rhyme decorations ( I even saw the same one's years later in Little Ricky's room on an episode of I Love Lucy!)

But now that they are older, their rooms, while not being true vintage, are done in classic style. My daughter's is pink, with white ruffled curtains and a white chenille bedspread. The boy's rooms are all done in shades of red, white and blue. I always steered clear of the popular cartoon character bedding and window treatments because they go out of popularity so quickly.

I think as long as you keep to a classic style and furnishings that can grow with your child, you can't go wrong.:)

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
I'm not one for murals on the wall,but have to admit that's pretty cute Charlie.

I think 1930s Deco is pretty classic,but I'm not sure if it's considered feminine.

Retromom-Like you,I'm not interested in any of the cartoon bedding and such.
We're having our bedding made in a quilt pattern using solids,plaids,dots,and stripes.The bedskirt and curtains will be in the stripes.
I would like some art to hang on the walls with a vintage feel.I'm toying with the idea of looking for vintage auto ads to frame.
Then making his little mobile using matchbox cars that look vintage and hanging it from the ceiling.

Elaina

One Too Many
My son's room was and always has been ultra modern. When he was born, I did the traditional Mickey Mouse, but by the time he was 18 months old, green was his favorite color, so everything was green.

Now his curtains are green, but everything else is Transformers.

Hannigan Reilly

One of the Regulars
Now his curtains are green, but everything else is Transformers
that cracked me up for some reason. :)
anyway, we are restoring our 1903 home and trying to keep it as classic as possible, true to time period etc.
Our little boy was just born, and we went with painted walls (because antique wallpaper will get crayon-ed someday, we're sure!) in a nice deep blue. the crown molding and heavy baseboards we did in a cream, and for accessories I am framing vintage children books/covers, and an antique kindergarten-sized school desk. Lighting will be repro-period. The hardwood floors we will cover with patterned rugs to help keep the room warmer and for playing on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic