Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Warming By The Devil's Fire."

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Mrs Holiday's been working across town near a regional branch of the main library, and sweet gal that she is, borrowed a couple of DVD's from the library for me on her lunch break.

One was entitled "Warming By The Devil's Fire," a half-documentary/half-narrative tale about a young boy's encounter with his uncle in Mississippi in the 50's and his first meeting with the Blues. In between dramatisations of the boy's tale, the director, Charles Burnett, has spliced loads of vintage footage of such blues greats as Lightnin' Hopkins, Bessie Smith, Son House, Muddy Waters, even Sister Rosetta Tharpe (who picked a mean blues guitar as well as being a renowned Gospel songstress).

There's something about the Blues that speaks directly to our souls, to the heart of our human condition. Whether you dig the music or have barely heard it, I enjoyed this film and recommend it. Anyone else seen it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran