Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What a Price!

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
May seem high for a used hat, though quite honestly for vintage felt that doesn't taper and probably holds up against drooping when it rains it should be worth more than a modern made hat.

The market will allow for a chaeper buying price when it comes to used hats, though qualitywise it' is worth every penney.

Matt Deckard said:
May seem high for a used hat, though quite honestly for vintage felt that doesn't taper and probably holds up against drooping when it rains it should be worth more than a modern made hat.

The market will allow for a cheaper buying price when it comes to used hats, though qualitywise it' is worth every penney.

I won't dispute that one bit. It is true.
It is just that I am not used to seeing them go for prices like that. I just bought five hats(nearly ten) for less than that---as a comparison. They were even the same sizes. So I was just grasping at what made one hat go so high. Did I miss something in the description? Did it once belong to Bogart? :p

Regards to all,

J

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Sometimes, when an article goes for a higher price on ebay than it normally would, it is because the buyer is fiarly new and, as Matt says, uninformed.

Also, people get into the mania of a bidding war (note there were 27 bids) and the price goes up because of that, too. If a couple of folks get a "gotta win" mentality start bidding against each other, there is no telling how far up the price will go.

Let us hope this is not a new trend.

karol

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Compare it to a new hat

One of the first fedoras I bought was a Biltmore. It was priced
higher than that and was not nearly as nice. A lot of new hats
are priced higher than that and are garbage. Is that hat really
not half as good as a new Optimo or Lock (I can't say since I don't have
them at hand to compare, but I'm guessing not)? A lot of Panamas
cost a lot more than that new and fly off peoples' heads. Let's
face it, prices for good hats are going up and will continue to go up.

As for availability, how many 7 1/2 or larger pre-war hats
of that quality have you seen? I have hunted for
years and haven't seen many. Although
I must admit to picking up a Mallory at least that old at Vintage
Silhouettes the last time I was there and around half the price,
it is an unusual experience.

I'm sure I've spent at least that much all told on eBay hats that,
when they arrived, didn't thrill me all that much. Don't get me started.
Which is all my way of saying, I'd pay that much for the right hat.
But I, too, hope it's not a trend.

hatflick1

Practically Family
Wow!

I have two Stratoliners, both 7 1/2. Guess if I list them on ebay I don't have to refinance.

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
hatflick1 said:
I have two Stratoliners, both 7 1/2. Guess if I list them on ebay I don't have to refinance.

Is that a Stratoliner? I don't have one (or much by way of
Stetsons), so I don't know.

When I did my home remodel a friend explained to me that
"one housing unit = $1000". That is, anything you do to your
house is measured in units of $1000. You'll need at least four
Strats to get started. And if your whole house is only two Strats
from being paid off, I really don't want to know about it! :cry:

hatflick1

Practically Family
On Second Look...

I may have mis-fired. The hat sure looks like the Stratoliners I have in the collection. I feel like I won the lottery and lost the ticket.

Wild Root

Gone Home
I have even seen Open Roads sell for high bucks. Strats do too! This seller I have seen sell some nice hats for big bucks. I believe that it's some what to do with the display.

They give you a good hat, nice clear photos, (And lots of them) good story,
and they know how to list it right so it will get lots of traffic. That's why it got hit so hard! Some of my best hats I only played less then $50. for one I didn't even have to bid hard. Seeing this hat that isn't very rare go that high is scary. But, it's also to do with the bidding wars that turn into a pissing contest. Some one who could careless about the hat and just wanting to beat some one at a game type of thing.

Any way, I don't ever need to get into a bidding war with any one for a hat of any type.

Root.

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
I'm in Seattle for a few days and stopped in Bernie Utz hat shop yesterday. The beaver borsalinos are now selling for $425.00 and the liners aren't even sewn in. The salesman didn't even try to excuse it, he's as disgusted by them as I was. So even paying a few hundred dollars for a vintage one seems like a steal next to one of those new lemons.

fedoralover

Wild Root

Gone Home
fedoralover said:
I'm in Seattle for a few days and stopped in Bernie Utz hat shop yesterday. The beaver borsalinos are now selling for $425.00 and the liners aren't even sewn in. The salesman didn't even try to excuse it, he's as disgusted by them as I was. So even paying a few hundred dollars for a vintage one seems like a steal next to one of those new lemons.

fedoralover

Are you serious? Oh my that's ridiculous! Why wouldn't they sew in the liner? Good gravy that's just stupid.

Root.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Yeah, rich people.

Matt has bought some hats from Optimo and loves them to death. They're not cheap but the closest thing to vintage felt you will find.

As for me, I only buy vintage hats. They're not only cheaper then a new hat, but they have the best look and have a history attached. That's why I don't like new or reproductions. There is no history to them. Only reason why I love this olds stuff is because it has survived all this time!

Any way, to each his own I say, and if buying a $400.-$500. hat is what makes you happy, well all the best to you!

As for me, it's going to be old used or NOS vintage.

Root.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steveng183