Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What a steal!!!

Indy Magnoli

Vendor
I was almost feeling dizzy when I found this deal at a local second-hand clothing store:

mag-newsuit.jpg

It's a double-breasted navy blue pinstriped wool suit made in England. It has a double-button, high cut closure, with high-peaked lapels. The pants are cut very high (well over navel) complete with suspender buttons, button-fly and real watch pocket. Not only is it exactly what I was looking for, but it fits like it was made for me!

And the best part... it only cost $22.50 NZ (which is only about $16 USD!!!). I think I could live to a hundred and never find a bargain like this again.

Thank you to all for allowing me to share my great joy of the moment. ;)

Kind regards,
Indy

Wild Root

Gone Home
Well, not really that obscene , I found a 40's suit at a thrift shop once for $5.00! That was a few years ago but, you'll find that some people still don't know why any one would want such an old suit especially in New Zealand!

Any way, that is a BEAUTIFUL SUIT!!! I am very happy for you and the price was sure great! It looks as if it was made for you! You wear it well my friend.

More photos perhaps? I would like to see more details on this sharpie.

Isn't scoring like this the best feeling? I know when I found that one suit for $5. I was happy for the rest of the month!!! You keep your eyes open and you'll find more.

All the best,

Root.

zeus36

A-List Customer
I'm thinking there's a lot of nice old clothes sitting around in some of the Christchurch shops. An untapped gold mine of vintage in the most English town outside of England!

Julius Xavier

One of the Regulars
What a Steal...

You know Magnoli if it isn't your replicas it's always something that I'm envious of... but seriousally great find you look awesome! I have an some ideas for props that I think that you'd be into replicating send me an e-mail and I'll let you know what I'm thinking...

-Doc

P.S.: Slowly but surely the Indy Journal is coming along... trying to get more guys into it at Club Obi Wan... we'll see what happens, again anything you can send me will help.

Pen Collector

One of the Regulars
Great looking suit!

That suit was made for you, it's just that someone borrowed a few years back and you finally caught up with it. Seriously, it does look like it was made for you. If you ever needed or wanted to have a custom made suite you have the pattern right there. If you were to have that suit made today, how much do you think it would cost?

Johnnysan

One Too Many
Clothes make the man, but you brought that suit back to life! Outstanding!! Congratulations on a great find and wearing it like a million bucks!

Chad Sanborn

A-List Customer
Very Nice! What a great find. I never seem to get that lucky with suits. I might find a great jacket, but no pants, and vice/versa.
Now, go out and show off!

Chad

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Nice Suit

I find the same, the coat, but no pants. They seem to wear out and the jacket is still good. That is why some custom tailors make two pair of pants with a suit. Extends the life consideraably.

My quest continues....lots out there in the 38 - 40 ish size, but not in the 42-44.

Michaelson

One Too Many
Reminds me of a line I heard while watching an old Joey Brown movie from the early 30's this past weekend. Brown was telling a girl about his new suit, and how well made it was....even came with two pairs of pants, but took over an hour to get dressed because of the extras. Brown then pulled up his pants leg revealing the second pair underneath the first. :rolleyes: ;)
Regards! Michaelson

Wild Root

Gone Home
Pen Collector said:
If you were to have that suit made today, how much do you think it would cost?

That all depends on who you find to make it. You could have a double breasted suit made to look like it, but today's tailors will not get it to match perfectly. Also, the fabric of those years was higher quality and did way a little bit more! Heavy fabric allowed longer wear and also a better drape which proved to repel wrinkles.

That suit is just too perfect! I have a few suits that fit very well and it's crazy to wear them knowing they were made before my father was born!

Root.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Matt Deckard said:
I bought a real nice brown double breasted jacket from the forties a few days ago,

Really? Where did you buy the coat? How come you didn't tell me about it? That's great that you found a D/B coat in your size brother!

I know how hard it is to find a full suit. Andy has a good point there about the pants wearing out faster then the coat. But, there is also a flip side to the coin. I find some very nice coats with out pants. I wonder what happens with the pants! Some times, at Thrift shops if a vintage suit comes in, it will get broken up! They try and keep the matches together but some people will find a suit they like and only want the coat. Some will buy only the pants! It's the dumbest thing in the world! I hate to see people brake up matches of any sort! :rage: That's one reason why there are so many lone coats and also lone suit pants! Most pants I run into were suits at one time! So, where is the coat? Just never know the real story behind it all I guess.

Any chance to see your new coat Matt?

Root.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran