Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you call this

Nick Charles

Practically Family
Robert Armstrong in the 1933 Kong, is wearing what looks like a suit coat with no arms, think they are ready made or does one just hack off the arms?

denham10.jpg

Flitcraft

One Too Many
I think that may be "field modified"- I've seen pictures of Great White Hunters from the '20's and '30's wearing sleeveless jackets like that- always figured they just took an old beat up jacket and hacked off the arms to still get some use out of it.

I don't know how familiar you are with military shooting jackets, but back in the day, they would often take an old uniform tunic, slit the back and maybe add a recoil pad and- voila!- instant range jacket. There's a mention of this in From Here To Eternity.

I figure maybe the early explorers/ hunters just did something similar.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
For those who want ther sleeves out of the way... the shooting vest.

I've seen those before. It is as stated above a suit style jacket turned into a vest for the field. Gives you the pockets of a suit jacket and the coolness and mobility of a vest. You see them on hunters sometimes... something for the Safari set. Other ones I have seen have a leather patch or patches on the shoulders which are used to rest the butt of your rifle when shooting.

The one in King Kong is probably linen or cotton blend.
Here is a modern wool example.
VE-TWEEDFULLXXX_s.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner