Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you look for in a Custom / Bespoke / MTO / MTM jacket?

Jasonissm

Practically Family
For me it's a compromise vs dream jacket. 99% OTR jackets would be a compromise in one area or another. Maybe because I'm picky. I feel like I have the right to be picky when spending this much money. That's why I will never understand why would people buy Japanese OTR jackets for 1500-2500 and have no control over anything apart from the given size.
I like OTR because brands have very skilled designers with keen eye, I like to stick to their vision, if it's a repro as well, I rather not mess with any details and have it as is. For me, I wouldn't want to change anything with the Japanese jackets I'm after design wise, the fit can be changed but they make nice designs, better than what I can come up with.

Sometimes giving the customer too much creative freedom is not a good thing, some boot makers spring to mind where the customer designs something in their head and when they get the product it looks terrible and they end up being returned or sold in sales (often is the case when people order two-tone boots). Same thing happened to me, when I ordered I chose all the things I thought were cool at the time, but I would definitely do differently if I had to do it again.

nattevagten

A-List Customer
I like OTR because brands have very skilled designers with keen eye, I like to stick to their vision
Agreed. The producer usually knows the best.

Individual measurements taken out of context usually mean nothing, so there is little point to chase them (at least that's what I have learned) - it's generally the cut, or the sum of individual measurements, that matters. Used to think myself that I most definitely need 18" shoulders, but now I know that I can get away with anything between 17.25" and 18.5". The same probably goes for other measurements too.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Adding practicality / versatility to my first post.

A lot of things we look for tends to cross over with others, like fit can be size or design, practicality can be material or design...etc.

I just want to add that if I can find a OTR jacket that ticks all my boxes I would do that first, it's easier and more available, and often much better value, especially used. And I find my custom jackets are mostly "improvements" on top of the OTR jackets. Once I change a few slight details on the OTR jacket it become a one off special.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner