Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Fuel Mileage did the 41' Chevy get?

The body/frame is worth more than the drivetrain. Motor/tranny swaps aren't nearly as bad as having to replace a frame or having a ton of rust/sanding/painting to do.

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
The body/frame is worth more than the drivetrain. Motor/tranny swaps aren't nearly as bad as having to replace a frame or having a ton of rust/sanding/painting to do.

I strongly second that. If you can't do it yourself, body work to restore a car with even minor rust problems or sub-frame damage can easily run into the tens of thousands. What I always tell people looking at getting into old cars is, unless you can do -- or are willing to learn to do -- EVERYTHING yourself save upholstery and spraying paint, in the long run, it's almost always cheaper to buy a completed car.

My sentiments exactly. I learned that the hard way. I bought a 58 Chevy. I handled the mechanicals great. I swapped the 235 inline six and the three on the tree for a 327 and a TH400. I did the body work myself, it wasn't terrible. But the other costs, such as replacing all the glass, trim, and to have the paint done was intense. I left it ready for paint and glass and trim and sold it, but did make a tidy profit.

It's better to have a good body and a crap motor than the other way around.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany