Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is the British equivalent to "Life Magazine"?

Saho

New in Town
I've learned a lot about American life from reading old Life series from the 30s and 40s. I'm curious if there are similar magazines in other countries, say the UK, that archived in stunning photography the events of the 30s to 50s.

Moreover, it seems that some of the best American products were advertised through Life at some point-Hamilton watches, Gillette razors, Parker pens, Chrysler automobiles, Ronson lighters, lifesaver candy, Yardley soaps, and so on. Are there any other magazine I should look at, either domestic or international, that had advertisements from more established firms similar to that I've seen in Life?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Picture Post was very popular in the UK from the late thirties into the mid-fifties -- it was started as an imitation of Life, and was designed to be much livelier than the old Illustrated London News. It was a bit more scandalous in content than the American Life, but the overall look and layout of the two publications was very similar.

PicturePost2.jpg

Talbot

One Too Many
For the UK try 'Country Life'. Mostly aimed at the rural well to do.

Down under we had 'Australasian Post' and 'Pix'. More like tabloid mags though.

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Country Life was aimed at the Upper Crust. Picture Post was much more like Life, but still very British.

Plenty of them turn up here in England, even Wartime issues although there were paper shortages. I think people saved them as they often had amusing or jolly pictures in them.

Talbot

One Too Many
I just gave away a stack of Country Lifes from the mid 60's.

Joanna Smythe - Derbyshire is to be betrothed to Captain Huntington Wolley of the Kings guard.

An article on collecting 17th century silver snuff boxes.

Caring for antique bone china.

The new car from Jaguar is called the E-Type and has rather impressive accelleration.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner