Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is the origin of the word 'bash'??

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
I would guess bash started out as an Aussie term for the use in describing hat shaping, though is not as prolific as you may think. Bash is an intuative use of the word since you are bashing in your hat to shape.

I think it is still a term used mainly by the Aussies and the Indygear set. Most hatters I speak with say shape when shaping a blocked hat. As far as I can see, 'bashing' is used much less than the word shaping unless you hang out with alot of Akubra wearers.

'Bashing' has that outback feel; if a New york hatter said he was going to bash your hat it would probably make it sound like less of a mysterious feet that requires a master.

Michael D

Familiar Face
Matt Deckard said:
if a New york hatter said he was going to bash your hat it would probably make it sound like less of a mysterious feet that requires a master.

If any New Yorker said he was going to bash something of mine I'd probably run the other way. ;)

No offense meant to any New Yockers out there. :)

Thanks Matt for the insight on the term bash.

Mike

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy