Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What shall I do? Need advice

SEDenver

New in Town
I've attached a photo of a unique metal Optician's eyeglass display case, Plate glass, tin & heavy metal (cast iron?
:eusa_doh:

It's labeled by Erker Optical Co, St. Louis, an old defunct firm, in the same bldg as my dad's law offices.

Its legs are very heavy - & will be very expensive to move 2000 to DC where we're headed. But highest offer was $60 :eek:

Should I move it; trusting it has value or accept that's all it's worth?

Can't find anything like it on line; everything else old is wooden or painted with advertising slogans.

t_=31439942

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Your photo's not showing up. I think you have to post 10 times or something before you can post photos?? [huh]
Anyway, does the piece come apart? Maybe move it in pieces,...even ship some pieces to their new home? [huh]

SEDenver

New in Town
thx Ms. Neecerie

Hope I spelled that right. Did follow the directions to paste my photo's web url onto the message; but it didn't take. Major Nick said I didn't have enough messages.

fatwoul

Practically Family
I'd have thought that these days anything would be worth more than $60. Keep it, and drag it around with you. One day you'll be glad.

Keeper

Oh, had somehow been saved the art deco neon signage I got out of the dumpster when they were tearing down the old Cadillac dealer on Vine in Hollywood (near what is now the arclight) - But I moved and...

Do try to find a way; it ought to be worth more than $60 bucks to a niche collector.

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
It's quite pretty. I think I'd keep it myself, but thinking practically, last year, I think I got a moving quote of about 50 cents per pound (of course that was for only 1,200 miles, so this is a very rough estimate). If it weighs 100 pounds, you'd pay about $50 to move it. If it weighs 200 pounds it would cost about $100 to move it. So, is it worth it that to you? Could you replace it for that? I think those answers may be key to answering your question....

Sorry to be losing a Coloradan, :( but good luck in your new adventures! :D

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
KEEP IT!! KEEP IT! wrap it like a mummy in bubblewrap or something and take it with you!! its way too nice and cool to sell...good luck!

SEDenver

New in Town
Thanks for all your affirmation

Ok my first thread on Fedora & I've gotten nothing but support. A decision I was struggling with; do I sell a wonderful old item too cheap because it costs a little to move it?

Looks like everyone's advise has been to have the movers wrap the shelves & take it on the truck to DC

Intersting side note; when researching found post from the great grandson of the founder of the case's owner. Erker antecedent was asking about his ancestors.....

SEDenver
:D

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
SEDenver said:
Ok my first thread on Fedora & I've gotten nothing but support. A decision I was struggling with; do I sell a wonderful old item too cheap because it costs a little to move it?

Looks like everyone's advise has been to have the movers wrap the shelves & take it on the truck to DC

Intersting side note; when researching found post from the great grandson of the founder of the case's owner. Erker antecedent was asking about his ancestors.....

SEDenver
:D

We're a supportive group on here :D but honesty plays a big role and you definitely should keep that cabinet deal, its awesome...the heavier the better ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy