Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"What Was Is Just What Was," sung by Bev Kelly in "The Late Show"

Naphtali

Practically Family
I just finished watching my DVD of an excellent movie, "The Late Show," starring Art Carney and Lily Tomlin. Among its attractions is a wonderful theme song, "What Was Is Just What Was," sung by Bev Kelly. I want very much to acquire Ms. Kelly's version of the song to play on my stereo system, but I can find no album of Ms. Kelly's having the song as a track. As far as I can tell, the only place it is available is as part of the sound track of the movie - which I own.

Since I have no way of transferring the song - its entirety being during the closing credits - from DVD to any playable and recordable digital file, I'm stymied.

I'm confident there is a way, but easier would be any of the bazillion places where songs can be purchased singly. I have bought one digital album - about a year ago with Koko Taylor's version of "Evil (is going on)." I do not remember how I did this or where.

I will appreciate any assistance obtaining a digital file of the song. And if you have not yet viewed "The Late Show," you're in for a treat.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
I seem to recall some kind of freeware that will convert the sound from video files to MP3. Can't for the life of me remember what it was called or where to get it or just what files it is capable of converting and all. But take heart because there is software out there somewhere that can do what you require here.

Here is but one example,...http://download.cnet.com/Free-Video-to-Audio-Converter-2012/3000-2140_4-10909427.html

Last edited:

Naphtali

Practically Family
I run Mac OS X 10.4.11 - old, old hardware and software. Converting the entire audio portion of a DVD to a single audio file doesn't solve the problem. I need but a small portion of DVD's audio. And, were it feasible, combining Ms. Kelly's vocals during opening AND closing credits would be ideal. Opening credits' variation of the song probably would work better grafted seamlessly to the end of closing credits' song. I type this because during the opening she interludes lyrics with wordless singing, much like Jo Stafford does in her 1944 rendition of "I'll Be Seeing You" - that is far more poignant than Dame Vera Lynn's standard.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo