Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What would you gentlemen suggest?

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
I am looking for a suit that would be appropriate for a stout fellow of middle age.

Would like to find something of the style that would have been worn by a lower middle-class man of late middle age, living in a small Midwestern town in the mid-1920's.

Some of the modern three-button, vested offerings are approximate, but the skirts of the jackets seem to be too long, the waists of the trousers are too low, and many other details are just "off".

Commercially available reproduction clothing seems to skip this period. An 1880's ditto suit is more than a little antique for the effect that I want, and, of course, a belted back suit with Oxford bags is, on the other hand, too modern and flashy.

What do you suggest?

Ugarte

A-List Customer
vitanola said:
I am looking for a suit that would be appropriate for a stout fellow of middle age.

Would like to find something of the style that would have been worn by a lower middle-class man of late middle age, living in a small Midwestern town.

Some of the modern three-button, vested offerings are approximate, but the skirts of the jackets seem to be too long, the waists of the trousers are too low, and many other details are just "off".

Commercially available reproduction clothing seems to skip this period. An 1880's ditto suit is more than a little antique for the effect that I want, and, of course, a belted back suit with Oxford bags is, on the other hand, too modern and flashy.

What do you suggest?

About what time period would you be interested in? Obviously, it's something post 1880's, so I'm guessing early 20th century. Golden age (30's - 40's)?

Mark

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
Ugarte said:
About what time period would you be interested in? Obviously, it's something post 1880's, so I'm guessing early 20th century. Golden age (30's - 40's)?

Mark
Excuse me, I forgot to mention time period!

Somewhere in the mid 1920's, say 1923 to 1926. This, in addition to my age (fifty) and my ample girth, might explain my aversion to anything that smacks of the "collegiate".

It would be better for the suit to be a few years out of date than for it to be too "modern".

Ugarte

A-List Customer
vitanola said:
Excuse me, I forgot to mention time period!

Somewhere in the mid 1920's, say 1923 to 1926. This, in addition to my age (fifty) and my ample girth, might explain my aversion to anything that smacks of the "collegiate".

It would be better for the suit to be a few years out of date than for it to be too "modern".

It may not be what you're looking for, but having watched the movie Leatherheads recently, I can't help but suggest that you rent that and have a look around. I'm betting you could find something right up your alley. Of course, other more knowledgeable members of the Lounge are sure to offer more direct help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24