Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where can I buy a real 100% horsehair brush?

mippo

New in Town
I want a brush that I can use on my leather jackets and shoes without scratching them. I bought a horsehair brush from Amazon (with a lot of good reviews) but some of the bristles look like they're made of plastic or nylon. I think nowadays there are too much mass-produced low quality goods out there. It's difficult to find high quality items. I'm hoping some members here with more knowledge than me can give me some recommendations. Thank you.

Fifty150

One Too Many
If you can't find a local shoe store, leather jacket store, department store, drug store, or shoe repair..... Buy it from Amazon. Just don't buy the cheap stuff. Buy the known name brands. Based on my experience, even Kiwi is just as good.

IMG_20230821_135621153.jpg
Screenshot_20230821-134435.png
Screenshot_20230821-134706.png
Screenshot_20230821-134610.png
Screenshot_20230821-133626.png
Screenshot_20230821-133840.png

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230821-133946.png
    Screenshot_20230821-133946.png
    828.8 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:

Jasonissm

Practically Family
If you want a high quality one, Kanaya Brush out of Asakusa do handmade ones where the bristles are put in by hand. They also have cheaper ones that are put in by machine, I have a few cheaper ones from Kiwi and Trimly and the difference in texture, density, firmness of bristles, uniformity of bristle length and bristle loss is apparent. Now does it give any tangible difference? I don't know, I didn't mind spending the bit extra on it because I was at their head shop and it feels quite nice but if you have to faff about with shipping and everything else I dunno, probably not.

58panheadfan

One Too Many
I want a brush that I can use on my leather jackets and shoes without scratching them. I bought a horsehair brush from Amazon (with a lot of good reviews) but some of the bristles look like they're made of plastic or nylon. I think nowadays there are too much mass-produced low quality goods out there. It's difficult to find high quality items. I'm hoping some members here with more knowledge than me can give me some recommendations. Thank you.
I use a yak hair brush on all my leather jackets. Of course there are different qualities of this brush on the market. The non plus ultra is a brush which the hair is pulled in by hand. There are only a few brush manufacturers today who have these skills.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner