Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which Hercules?

Norskellunge

New in Town
Hello Loungers,

In my ongoing search for things that were made to last, I've found the Hercules line from Sears.

I have a dilema between two available jackets - both A2 brown horsehides:

One is $200 probably from the 50s, leather and cuffs in great shape, but zipper is separating from the jacket at the very bottom (easy fix?)

The second option is $150 (will be $75 in a week, if it lasts) from 40's, but the leather is in tougher shape (see pictures: http://imgur.com/a/NX3bI).

What to do? Or should I wait for one to come up that's in this price range and pristine?

Thanks everyone.

robrinay

One Too Many
In my one year old affliction/addiction of searching for (and buying), classic leather jackets I've noticed that Sears Roebuck - Hercules and their main competitor - and usually reasonably priced Windward - by Montgomery Ward come up frequently on eBay especially if you extend the search to worldwide and occasionally do an odd search such as horsehide jacket or talon zip leather jacket and tick search description - to flush out any not identified by name. Smaller sizes come up most frequently with over 42" chest being less common You probably already know to ask for actual measurements of chest sleeve length and shoulder width, rather than trusting to the labelled size. My advice is to wait for the one that shouts 'Buy Me!' and then you won't end up in a cycle of trading up to the one you really want.

Norskellunge

New in Town
Thanks, both of you.

Speaking of Sears' line of clothing, a few days back I picked up one of their steerhide Fieldmaster jackets online - I jumped at the $125 price tag after looking at the condition. I can't really find much info on the Fieldmaster line or history, but I believe it's from the 50s (see photos here: http://imgur.com/a/jDEQG).

I still want that trophy Hercules, but any insight on this jacket or comments on how I did?

D

Deleted member 16736

It's decent value for the money, but I probably would have held out for one in NOS (new old stock) condition. You can see some discoloration on the arms (chrome tanned leather discolors after time), and I couldn't see the back. Lining looks good. Fieldmaster was a later 50s/60s jacket, I think, but I'm no expert. You can find excellent quality steerhide Sears jackets online often looking unworn, and Fieldmaster usually sells for less than Hercules with comparable quality.

robrinay

One Too Many
Inerestingly the 1956 Sears Christmas catalogue advertises a similar jacket under a main heading Hercules Fieldmaster. The next year shows leather jackets under the more usual Hercules title - one wonders if the Fieldmaster trade mark was a short lived attempt to 'freshen up' the brand.

Norskellunge

New in Town
Got the coat in today and... wow - I am a big Filson fan, largely for their quality of construction, and this coat is right there, if not better. Very nice condition, as noted a little age around the pockets. An instant favorite - fits me a bit tighter than the description and measurements lead me to believe, but it actually makes the fit a bit more flattering. Good incentive to start running again and eat better.

I am absolutely hooked on these old Sears jackets (like I needed another hobby). Gotta find that perfect Hercules now.

The Fieldmaster lives - http://imgur.com/xSDRFFh

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner