Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

White suit, white shoes, dark socks...

Mojito

One Too Many
I've been going through family photos this afternoon, and found a nice one of my grandfather Morris from the 20s in full Gatsby mode (such a swell tennis player...)

His striking combination of white tennis outfit and shoes coupled with black socks brought to mind the many images I have of ships' officers lined up for formal photos on deck wearing their summer whites and (usually) white shoes with black socks. I've always marvelled a bit at that combination of "flood length pants" and black socks...

How long did this look persist? And how pervasive was it?

MorrisGatsby001.jpg

AddahCrewSocks.jpg

Mojito

One Too Many
Yes, some men can certainly carry it off (and why hide a good pair of black socks!). At least Morris is wearing a dark belt in that photo. Trouser length has a good deal to do with it - it's not as noticeable in the photo I scanned, but I can remember one photo in particular of an officer on the Adriatic who was quite stylish. Unfortunately he had his legs crossed and, as they were short in length anyway, they had ridden up a good few inches to expose a great expanse of black clad ankle that contrasted vividly with his lovely crisp whites.

BT, that flannels photo you linked to was stunning. Now that's a perpetually good look for summer.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Can't find it right now, but I have a picture of Joe Haymes and his Orchestra, pioneering swing band of the early 1930s, where Joe is dressed as you describe.

Strangely enough, Joe was one of the rare individuals with monochrome vision. He could not see color at all and needed tags sewn into his clothes. But he presumably knew black from white, although he drank a lot, so who knows.

Curt Chiarelli

One of the Regulars
From the many photos and catalogues I've seen dating from that era, the flood-height pants style was fairly common a few years before, during and after the First World War. You can see many examples of (primarily) British civilian, naval and army officers with their pants that length and, without exception, cuffed. A noteworthy and famous example would be Col. T.E. Lawrence. After the mid-1920s it was pretty rare to see this style. Afterwards fashion dictated that trousers usually touched the shoe or had a break.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
You're right.

Also, dandyish Oxbridge students in the '20s (and before) would wear matching repp striped ties and striped socks with white flannel trousers. (The socks' stripes were usually horizontal, by the way.) Since repp ties tend to have at least one darker color, this meant that the socks would have that same darker color, too. Result: white flannel trousers with "dark" socks.

Mojito

One Too Many
Cheers, Curt and Marc - that information and timeframe is very helpful, and fits in with the dating for the ships' photos. These were taken from the first decade of the 20th century through to the mid to late 20s. One of my subjects is depicted c.1928 in a splendid caricature done by a passenger - pipe in mouth, summer whites, flood pants on and black socks.

Miss Sis, you're right about the deceptive quality of those black and white photographs - it can be hard to visualise tha world in colour when so many renditions of it are in sepia tones.

Wild Root

Gone Home
For a long time white was a popular color to wear for boating or just walking down the boardwalk. It was a light shade that was cool and comfortable to wear in warm weather. The dark socks warn with these outfits was pretty common... not always wore black, some times it was navy or another dark color... can't really tell in black and white photos.

I try and wear colored socks with my light colored clothes... mostly light colors. I also wear white or ivory socks with pants of that shade.

I know what you mean about thinking of those days in color... we mostly see black and white images... so, thinking in color is pretty different. I found this clip on YouTube and I want you all to fallow the link and watch the clip! It starts out as 1920's black and white but, towards the end, there's fantastic original color footage from LA in the early 30's!!! Could be late 20's... not sure but, it's not colorized, it's early color film!!! Take a look!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWoHTVr-pE8&eurl=

=WR=

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff